Monday, May 14, 2007

Sterling Classic Road Race Report 5/12

Masters 35+
48 miles
24th/96

Thanks to Babs’ flexibility and the weekend free from lax games, I snuck down to Boston Friday night and left the apt. early Saturday morning for an 8:30am start in Sterling, MA. The day’s weather was decent for racing: sunny with temps hovering right around 60. I once again stressed over what to wear. I was going with shorts regardless, but what to wear up top was a dilemma. I originally pinned my number on a short sleeve and was going to wear long-fingered gloves. But, I changed last minute and went with the long sleeve and short fingered gloves and I’m happy with my decision. It was the right mix early on, maybe a little warm at the end, but not uncomfortable.
This race marked the first repeat event from last year. Up until now, all the races this season were new events for me. A year ago at this time I was just a Cat. 5 as I didn’t have much of a road resume tojustify an upgrade. Last spring saw a couple of training races and 1 other road race up to this point. Thus far this year, I already have 4 major road events under my lycra. Thanks to my Cat. 3 upgrade, they’ve been in the ultra-competitive Masters or Cat. 3 level.
At this race last year, I competed in the Cat. 5 35+ class and placed 5th. It was a rain event and I think we did at most 3 laps. There was a bit of climbing in the form of a hill finish and we went around 6 times. The most notable member of the field was Mark McCormack, a renowned pro. My strategy today was to stay towards the front, get a good workout in, and push it on the hills. The first lap solidified this decision as there were some fast descents on narrow roads and I did not want to be in the pack. As we completed the first lap, my position towards the front gave me an excellent view of McCormack and Yabroudy (top New England racer) go off the front leave the pack for good. There was an instant when I thought I would go with them, but that was just the steroids talking! Rather, I stuck with the game plan and was content with riding around with everyone. I stayed in the top-30 the entire time, cycling a little back and forth and was always top-20 on the climbs which was a good sign my legs were feeling jiggy. I joined a mock break of 4-5 guys with 2 laps to go, but it didn’t stick. It was a hard effort for a few minutes, but I didn’t think it took too much out of me.
So, it was all about a sprint finish again. I had found a nice wide line at the final turn which allowed me to carry momentum up the climb. I usually shifted in advance, but as this was the last lap, I had to stay on the gas longer and didn’t want to drop down to the small ring too early. I think I was a little late in shifting, but as I glanced around me at the line, I don’t think it cost me any positions. My hope was for a top-20 finish, but I am completely satisfied with my result. I like the way the season is progressing and my confidence and strength is building. I had been in the top-30% of the field the first 4 races and today I broke the top 25%. This marks a good point to take a break from the road and get the fat tires dirty. The family and I are off to a Canada Cup race this weekend.

No comments: