Friday, June 19, 2009

Motivation to Ride Arrives by Mail

A week ago I was prepping to compete in the EFTA Pinnacle XC race. All systems were a go until Saturday right before dinner. I had started to prep the bike for a muddy event and was attempting to mount tubeless mud tires. For the usual reasons, it was impossible to seat the bead on the rim and it would not hold air. It was at this point that I entered a tailspin of demotivating myself. I started coming up with better things to do with my time on Sunday rather than get up @ 4am, drive 4 hours, race 2 hours, drive 4 hours (actually wasn't tough to do!).

So I left the bike in its incomplete state and plotted out a nice 4 hour road ride around home instead. I ate my pre-race carbo meal and rationalize this was a good plan. Problem was, I didn't really want to ride the road for 4 hours so when Sunday came and it poured rain, I was relieved I had another excuse not to ride and bagged it.
Worse part is, I haven't ridden since! This was a tough work week putting in the ice and the riding opportunities have been nill and I sure haven't had the motivation.
Then, yesterday my new jersey arrived and I miraculously snapped out of my funk.


Training commenced immediately after, albeit for only 1 hour on the rollers! Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to getting rolling again. Thanks Kona for kicking me in the ass!

1 comment:

rick is! said...

glad I'm not the only one in that boat.