Monday, May 22, 2006

MMBA #1 Race Report



MMBA #1 Maine Sport Mayhem, Camden

1st Expert Vet I
5th Overall

My first official mountain bike ride of 2006 began on race day! The monotonous rain here in Maine has limited all of my riding to the road thus far. To top it off, my Aegis ProAxe had not been built up yet so I had no real mountain bike anyway. Unfortunately, due to some miscommunication, the bike wasn’t ready for the race either.
So, it was back to good ol’ Surly 1x1, this time fully rigid, no frills!
My pre-race attitude was less than positive. I was going with Plan-B bike and I was not confident in my bike handling ability. I had plans to pre-ride the course on Saturday, but it became too problematic to get out there. I was definitely going into the race green.
The course was a 2+mile technical loop, 90% singletrack. Despite the recent rains, the course was I would say 90% rideable. The 10% was heinous, hike-a-bike mud sections that stuck to everything like Play-dough. I forced myself to do a 1-lap pre-ride just to see what I was in for. That pretty much sucked any hope I had for a fun day right out of me. My hands were instantly tired and I struggled with bike handling. I finished the lap with 5 minutes to spare for my start and was 3-deep on the line. Although all week I said it was imperative to get a good starting spot (which Babs hasn’t made me forget!), I wasn’t too concerned about it having merely “survived” my pre-ride. I rationalized I just wanted to finish and earn any points possible.
The start was super-sketchy as it was a mad dash though a grass field with trees to a 2-bike width gulley, to a parking lot, to singletrack, to a run-through-the-mud-pit. Everything you could ever want in a Maine mountain bike race! I rubbed elbows and shoulders, but kept it upright and just tried to hold my spot once in the woods and settle in. The first lap was easily the most fatiguing. We were all riding above our ability in an effort to keep from getting passed. Meanwhile, the tension keeps you from focusing on riding smoothly and you end up slipping up and getting passed anyway. Luckily, I simply held my spot and waited for opportunities to pass others and make my way through the field. Things strung out about mid-way through the lap and I set out to find my rhythm, content to ride behind people who were smooth on the course so I could mirror their lines. As the laps progressed, it was obvious others were fading while I felt fairly consistent, not pushing too hard. Converse to probably most people’s strategy; I pushed the easy sections as it was recovery enough for me to not have to battle the bike versus the mud, roots, and rocks and made significant time. I kept telling myself I have the middle fitness that is speedy and the glue that keeps the high end accessible when needed. I think it’s what the tempo workouts really have helped build. I passed people right through the final lap and was just starting to fatigue at the end.
I was pleasantly surprised with the finish. Things happen for a reason, and I’m convinced the Surly was the right bike for the event. I didn’t have drivetrain issues like many others, and after a couple of laps, was comfortable in the cockpit. Sure, a suspension fork would have been nice, but if you don’t think about it, you don’t know what you’re missing!
I had great fan support from Drake and Fenix and Babs was crucial in the feed zone.

Drake kicked off his race season as well, finishing third after waiting for his fellow competitors after they tipped off their bikes. You gotta love 5 year-old sportsmanship; we should all follow their example.
Fenix completed his first race in the 2+ category! Dad was a little tired after his race so he couldn’t push him as fast as the others! He took 1 tumble, but got back on and pedaled across the finish line. I think he’s hooked too!

It's all about the prizes!
It was a fun family outing thanks mostly to Babs, the ultimate team manager!.

Next up is the Cape Able Memorial Day Classic.

No comments: