Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Carrabassett XC Challenge Report 8/24

2nd Overall


I arose early and ahead of the fam to prepare for the journey to the Outdoor Center in the shadows of Sugarloaf USA. I left the decision up to them if they wanted to go with. They didn't wake up until shortly before I needed to hit the road so I left them behind, definitely for the best for them.
After a foggy, misty drive, I arrived to the race site under sunny skies. It was going to be a great day for racing. Colleague and fellow Kona-rider Matt Moore was there to make is XC racing debut. French Freye was there as well as Ryan Littlefield. But the field was alarmingly small with Racin' Rick noticeably absent among others. That meant the race was a Freye chase.
We all set off on the 1st of 3, 7-mile laps. The course is a mix of wide open Nordic ski dirt roads, fun and fast singletrack, and a long gradual climb that is steepest at the top. Still not granny-gear worthy though. I latched onto Andrew's wheel right away and we pacelined it in the big ring to the first singletrack. Here Andrew got the gap that he maintained to the finish. I just need more time to process the trail I guess. I seem to analyze too much, looking for the smoothest line. Andrew just pins it! When we began the ascent, he had about 15 seconds on me and increased it to probably 30. Near the top, you take a right for the steep section followed by a singetrack descent that brings you out at the right hand turn previously taken. Since Andrew was out of sight, I was alone and as I came to the turn there was a course marshall just sitting there. As I recall, there have been times when this part of the climb and descent were not included. Since I got no information from the marshall, I took a left and continued on my merry way figuring the course was re-routed due to erosion and was happy not to have to climb more!
I rolled through the remainder of the course and when I came to Andrew's parents I asked how far ahead he was. I was shocked to hear the yhadn't seen him yet! I immediately deduced he missed a turn and I stayed on the gas through the start/finish. Once there, I got the news it was I who missed the turn. Evidently I did indeed need to take that right and do the climb/descent. So, they told me to just do it twice during one of my remaining 2 laps. When, was the debate that occupied my mind. I was passing sport riders now and I was concerned I would be held up twice as many times. I also tried to figure out whether there would be a physical advantage or dis-advantage to doing it 2nd or last lap. I can't say I made up my mind until I exited the descent and turned uphill to do it again, back to back on my 2nd lap.
During that time, Andrew had come through and by the time I exited the descent again, he was 1-2 minutes up on me which is about what he would have been anyway. So, I rode along alone for the rest of the race. Aside from coming to a dead stop and vaulting over the handlebars into a mud pit courtesy of a hidden boulder, there was nothing worthy of comment. It was just a great day to ride a fairly fun course. I rode pretty hard, felt no ill-effects from the previous day's crit, and enjoyed the post-ride cool down in the Carrabassett River.
Andrew won of course and Matt DNF'd courtesy of a broken seatpost. However, the drama has only just begun! The competition for Master of Mud is on! French Freye is officially in the running. We'll both be competing in the 2 remaining races and battling for points. If I finish ahead of him once and within a place or two the other, I'll win. If he finishes ahead of me both races, he wins. No, those aren't tacks in my back pocket!
Next up is the Rangeley Lakes Saddleback Challenge on Labor Day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice write up! I am still working on mine! Hopefully I will have it up after the weekend...
See you Monday!

Dana said...

Nice finish. Don't you love how those race marshals don't seem to be very helpful in events such as these. Geez!

Good luck in Saddleback! I grew up not far from there. Perhaps one day I'll make my way there to watch some of this kind of action. Sounds exciting.

rick is! said...

bummed I missed it but I'll be at the GrillZ. See you there.