Monday, November 30, 2009

Calling it a Season

The finish came quicker than I thought so I just coasted across the line.
I had every intention of closing out the CX season by attending the final 2 doubles. But the real world got the better of me and I finally put the priority list in proper order:
1. Family


2. Work

All season #1 and 3 were inverted. It was time to do the right thing by being a dad and husband and spend the weekend with the family at a hockey tournament instead.

It was close though! I actually had the bikes loaded on Tuesday as the plan was to have Thanksgiving on the Cape then Friday and Saturday nights at a hotel in Exeter, NH a mere 90 minutes away from Sterling.
My dad was slated to come up and take the fam to the Saturday games while I raced. Then we would all go to the Sunday event hoping the team didn't make the finals. That was just stupid thinking!


Instead, I hung the bikes for the winter, ate and drank like a starving cyclist all weekend and had a blast! Of course I missed the opportunity to race. But my biggest regret was not actually the riding the bike thing, but missing out on earning points for the overall series. More stupid thinking! Big picture reality is no one really cares where I end up so where's the motivation?
It was fun while it lasted though and I'll be watching the results for all the cool guys still racing out the season.

Looks like a major restructuring of my goals and race plans for next season is in order.

3 comments:

rick is! said...

yay, do like me and under train for all of your races next year so that you can bitch and whine just like me. try it, it's fun!

oh yeah, grow 4 inches so that you can sell me your (now properly sized)cross bike and then give up cross.

matty o said...

can relate todd, grew up in a rink just like your boys, played through high school, then prep, then through college, never lace up again. talk about a burnout sport, never had the desire to even play shinny hockey with the guys. hope the kids are enjoying it now. 1 month is all you need to start to get back into shape, no stress. we can help each other out on the back row next year, lets kick bold and mccormacks asses.

rick is! said...

come on. just because you're not racing doesn't mean you don't have to write.