Monday, April 24, 2006

Adelphia Gran Prix Report

Masters 35+: 16th/21

April 23rd was my first "counter" road race of the season. I competed in the Masters' 35+ division although apparently I'm not qualified to. But I'll touch on that in another post.
The best part of the day is the fact that the weather was tolerable. There was an ominous prospect of rain and wind but it held off right up until after my post-race ride. It was, however, overcast and chilly necessitating long sleeves and leg warmers.
The race got underway fairly quiet. It was helpful to get a lay of the course which included a steep bumpy downhill to a left hander. There were a couple of attempts by individuals to get away , but they were pretty tame and no one took them seriously. Suprisingly, a pair of teammates did get away 1/4 of the way into it and they were never seen again. That was unfortunate because they locked up 1st and 2nd without a fight. The pack, despite having 2 teams with multiple riders, was uninterested in pursuing. I'm guessing it was on account of the fact many rode in the 45+ race earlier now that I see the results. Had I known that, I would have sought out someone to take off with as I felt good. Another pair took off 3/4 of the way through, another opportunity missed.
Hindsight is 20/20 however. I stayed at the front of the pack helping keep other fake breaks in check. On the final lap halfway to the finish, I took off with another rider who I thought would help distance us from the field, but after I pulled out in front of him he faded. I was doomed, but figured I'd stay with it as I pretty much was burning my legs and if I sat up to wait for the pack I still wouldn't have a sprint in me. Plus, I would avoid any entanglement on the treacherous descent. So I trudged on solo with the pack 10yards behind me. After the downhill, the pack swooped in and sprinted for the remaining spots. I did the best I could, but ended up with a disappointing 16/21.
I am registered for the Sterling RR on May 13th in the Cat.5 35+ division. Based on this experience, I think I'm going to attack early, ride my ass off and leave the tactics to the pack. That way I'll have no regrets, just sore legs!
The Victory has needed nothing but a wash and some chain lube since it was at the shop in March. The bike instills confidence in me and I can safely say I'm adjusted to it and it's reactions are very predictable.

No comments: