Saturday, July 01, 2006

Fitchburg Longsjo Classic Stage 2

Circuit Race
17th/83 Masters 35+

Current GC Position: 37th

This race is totally new to me. It consisted of 9 laps around a 3.1 mile course which was predominantly flat with a long steady descent and a steep climb to the finish line. I guess this is somewhere between a criterium and a road race. My approach to the race was to finish ahead of my current 38th spot in the general classification (GC) by riding with the pack and positioning myself for a good uphill sprint finish.
The weather was awesome, sunny, dry, breezy. It was a great day to be out on the bike. This was a lesson in fast, big pack riding as the course was not conducive for anyone to break away. There is really nothing to report about the racing until the end. I tried a couple of different approaches to the finish climb over the course of the laps. The hill began right after a right hander. If I stayed left, I would have momentum, but everyone preferred that line and it was too crowded. If I stayed right and cut the corner, I would have to scrub off speed and lose momentum. Since the inside line seemed the safest on the approach, I choose it for better of for worse. I got around the turn OK, but then the whole field swooped over to my side, pinching me to the point I had to brake or hit the curb. I kept the legs pumping and maintained my position while passing others right to the line.
It was a good experience, tense at the beginning, but I loosened up as the race wore on and enjoyed it. I’m pleased with the finish.
Next up is the Road Race, 58 miles of up and downs, plus a 2 mile uphill finish!

No comments: