Saturday, July 01, 2006

Fitchburg Longsjo Classic Stage 3

Road Race
10th/81 Masters 35+

Current GC Position: 15th

Today’s race was the one I was most nervous about, but thought I had the best chance to perform well at. It was probably the pressure I put on myself that made me nervous. The race consisted of 5 - 11.5 mile loops plus a 1.75mile finish line climb up Mt. Wachusett. The loop was comprised of a hair raising descent (what goes up, must come down!) where we reached speeds of up to 58mph, a rolling 7 miles or so, and a long, steady climb with a couple of steeper sections and a false flat that had deceptive climbing in it.
We rolled off in great conditions; sunny and warm, but dry air. This is the biggest pack I have ever ridden with and I was very nervous in such tight conditions. There was no room to move up to the front and I spent most of the day mid-pack. I kept myself on the yellow line with the thinking I could veer left if something happened up front. Problem was, cars would occasionally come by which would turn me into a nice hood ornament. Luckily these thoughts only occupied my mind on the first lap as my confidence in the group grew over time. The guys I am racing with are all class. I haven’t heard any yelling and the bike handling has been superb. This is clear evidence there are some seasoned Pro 1-2 racers in this class.
There isn’t too much to report about the race itself. The pack stayed together until the very last loop climb. There was a breakaway of 4 or so riders at one point but I guess we brought them back in. I had no idea because I could hardly see the front line most of the time. I have no idea whether a certain team was controlling the race or what, I was just along for the ride!
On the third lap, I had a little scare as I ascended the steep hill section with the group but noticed a sizeable gap had formed between my group and the front section. Luckily, the riders ahead slowed on the first flat section and we caught back up. That made me realize I needed to be towards the front on the next 2 climbs to make sure I was with the leaders and not get dropped because the guys around me couldn’t keep up.
With my lesson learned, I set myself up front with the top-10 riders on the final loop climb and sat in with them as we headed for the base of the finish climb. I hoped we had created a split from the rest of the group, but I knew the task at hand was to stay with these guys and let fate play out for the rest. The GC leader was in this pack along with several others in the top-10. I knew this was my opportunity to see where I stacked up. We made the turn to the top of the mountain as a group and began grinding the gears. I had not scoped out this section so I was reliant upon their pace and my ability to maintain it to get me to the top, I just had the mileage to go on to guesstimate where we were in relation to the finish. The incline was gradual at first, but of course that changed quickly! The top-5 slowly pulled away while I exchanged positions with a fellow mountain biker until he fell off my pace. The steepest section was right before the finish and I was just about spent. I looked behind to see if anyone was coming and didn’t see anyone until a wheel just passed me right at the line, I had no idea he was there. Turns out he’s a mountain biker too, proving I guess we’re strong in the mountains! Luckily, he nipped me for 9th so I managed a top-10. I’m stoked by the finish, far exceeding my hopes. My time was good enough to move me up 22 positions in the overall GC.
It has been great being back on the Aegis Victory. It’s a solid performer when climbing that’s for sure. In contrast though, she was a little wobbly on the descents, but they’re not where the races are won!

Next up is the Criterium, 17 laps on a .9 mile course.

No comments: