Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sunday 5/7 Bradbury 1st Hei Hei Ride

This was a “duty weekend” for me up on the Hill. But, I found a window of opportunity to sneak the first off-road ride of the season in Sunday morning. The weather all week was mostly sunny and windy so trails have dried up nicely. I called Bradbury Mountain on Thursday and turns out they officially declared the trails open that day. Andrew Freye and I coordinated schedules and we met at the park at 9am. Babs and the boys made the trek down, dropped me off, and proceeded to Freeport for a bit of shopping.
Kona vs Salsa Showdown
John Burns also made the journey up from MA so it was an all-ADG ride. Turns out, the day was also dedicated as a trails day so people came out in droves to help rake away the winter debris and improve drainage where needed. The weather was still below 60 degrees, but sunny and pleasant. The ride was pure joy. This was the Hei Hei’s maiden voyage, save a road loop a few days prior. It was difficult to determine which was making me happier: the riding or the bike. It was clearly both. I felt instantly comfortable on the bike. I had to remind myself often that it was OK to just ride over obstacles as opposed to avoiding them as the hardtail mentality is still entrenched in my mind. My biggest adjustment will be getting used to riding a flat bar again. The bike ascended and descended predictably so my confidence was high riding with pro and semi-pro racers in Freye and Burns. The one thing I noticed immediately in riding with them was they did not let up on easy sections. These guys put the hammer down wherever they’re able, no doubt due to the pressure to always try to make time in races. It was a great experience to ride with them.
We rode for just over 2 hours. Babs and the boys returned to pick me up while Freye and Burns refueled and then planned to join the trail crew. I wished I could have, but had to get back for Alfond supervision.

Hei Hei: Rode hard, put to bed dirty


A classic scene unfolded when as we were driving out of the park, I was attempting to de-bag my Subway sandwich when the bottom fell out and a half of the sub fell on my lap then to the floor. I would have been mad any other day, but today, having ridden for 2+ hours and was starvin’ marvin’, I lost it! There were some expletives, some desires to throw the remnants everywhere, etc! I’m sure passerby’s were appalled, but I was redlining it. I regained composure, wolfed down the other half, apologized to Babs, and paid the boys $20 to forget the whole incident! Ahh, life’s tough, then you get some food in your stomach and everything’s OK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to read the last paragraph to my wife. It's good to know I'm not the only one who would wig out in that situation! ;-)