Monday, September 03, 2007

GMSR Stage 3 Report 9/2

37th/60
24th GC

My luck ran out today. I’d gone all season both on and off-road without a flat. Last weekend my streak ended in the Saco crit, but I was fortunate to have it happen on the final lap and was able to finish unscathed. Today, it cost me big time.
The day began great! The weather was fantastic, I am feeling better and better health-wise, and my legs felt ready to go. Today’s stage was a 64 mile road race with 2 significant climbs, with the finish at the top of App Gap where the pitch is 20 degrees. The day’s finish would surely shake up the overall GC standings, revealing who was in really good shape. I fully expected to return to the top-10.
The race began on a neutral descent from Sugarbush’s Mt. Ellen ski area. The pace was quick from the get-go for whatever reason. It seemed foolish to me someone would try to go solo or have a small break. My approach was to conserve as much energy as possible for the climbs and stay in the pack. It was nice riding with teammate Paul Weiss as he gave me some advice and what to expect ahead. A small group did get away for a while, but most were brought back before the first major climb called Middlebury Gap. Last year I lost touch with the lead group and had to combine forces with 5 other guys just to finish respectably. This year, I was intent to do whatever it took to be up front over the top, anticipating a break in the group would occur and I’d be with the leaders. Sure enough, we went up hard, split the pack and I was cruising down the descent in the lead group. Unfortunately, there was no cooperation in the group and we actually let up, allowing virtually the entire field to join us. So much for that plan!
We hit the rolling section of the course and had surges and slow ups as more futile attacks came and went. Hard to remember, but I think a few guys did get ahead, but it was the end of my group riding as I flatted on the second of 2 short dirt road sections. I got the wheel changed by the support vehicle, but the pack flew by and I knew I had no chance of regaining contact without any help. So, I accepted my fate and set off to finish alone. Just ahead another rider flatted so we joined forces and rode together until the base of the final climb. I figured I pinch flatted on a sharp rock or something which I would accept as tough luck, but acceptable given the conditions. However, when I retrieved my wheel back at the start, I discovered a small nail in it. Now that’s fate! Something didn’t want me to have a good finish for some reason.
So, I’m pretty disappointed, but not bummed. There are a lot of other things to be upset about rather than a bike race. It was a beautiful day for a bike race and I enjoyed the opportunity to ride through Vermont. I finished only 5 minutes behind the pack which I think was pretty good considering I pretty much worked alone and the fix took a couple of minutes. My focus now shifts to tomorrow’s criterium. I’d like to make some noise and go for the win, but much will depend on what everyone else’s agenda is. I’m hoping most guys will be focused on GC points and I could get away as I’m no longer a threat, but we’ll see.
Teammates Stu and Mike were strong and had a great day earning the following finishes:

Stu: 7th
Mike: 12th
Paul: 56th

1 comment:

rick is! said...

tough luck man. good luck with the crit.