Monday, October 08, 2007

Casco Bay Cyclocross Report 10/6

Masters 1/2/3
1st/27

What is this, summer?! Unseasonably warm temps and sun greeted us racers today at this inaugural event in Biddeford, ME. This race was scheduled last year, but fell through after difficulites arose in securing the location with the city of Portland. So, the venue became the Rotary Park instead. This area is no stranger to bike racing. There's a traditional MTB event just up the road in Clifford Park, there's an annual criterium race across the river in Saco, and Rotary Park has hosted an MTB short track event in the past. The question was, what would it be like as a 'cross course? In my opinion, awesome!
Now, perhaps my result helped sway my opinion. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed riding the course and never really dreaded any particular section lap after lap. This one had all the elements I like in a cycling event: climbing, descending, cornering, and the opportunity to get into a flowy groove (I'm claiming that term as mine!).
A view from the top


The start had us rush through the parking lot and avoid a pole on the right which would condense us into about 6 wide as opposed to the 12 wide we were at the start. Having seen this obstacle prior to the start, I made certain I had the position I wanted, well away from said pole! The whistle blew and we charged through the lot and up a short climb. I wasn't too quick off the line, and ended up about 6th at the base of the hill and then 3rd behind Big Al and another BIKEMAN.com guy. I allowed Big Al to set the pace out front as he is a notorious strong starter while I sat comfortably (as comfortable as I could be with a heart rate qround 180!) in 3rd. As we came back to the start area on the long, open road climb, John Meerse decided to up the pace and came around us on the outside. Feeling good, I grabbed his wheel and followed him past the BIKEMAN.com train. John settled in at the crest and rather than follow him around the open field turns yet to come, I stayed on the gas and passed him so I could go at my own pace and not be slowed by anyone. This move proved to be the winning one as I slowly and steadily pulled away from the field and rode alone to the finish. I did not rest on my laurels, however, as I feared group tactics could have worked if the guys behind me cooperated with each other and drafted in the open sections. Luckily, the variety of the course didn't allow for it, and my solo pace won out in the end.
I simply had a great time on the bike and thoroughly savored my first ever 'cross win! I just wished the fam was on hand to enjoy it with me. But, Fenix's John Deere birthday party was later in the day and there was much to do!

On a tech note, I changed tires this weekend. I feared the Maxxis set that came with the Kona was not aggressive enough for me, so I went back to the Panaracer Cinder X I used last year and I loved them! I was confident in the turns and they hooked up the whole time. Also, I'm getting a nasty vibration from the front wheel under braking. I've checked the headset for tightness, but think it may be due to a flexy fork. I'm keeping my eye on it. Otherwise, the bike has inspred confidence and I suffered no puts downs or dabs and even had time for a 360 through the barriers on the final lap just for kicks!

No comments: