Monday, January 07, 2008

eMotion Rollers Update

Here is where I expect to spend the next couple of months:

I just finished up my first week of training, having spent 5 hours on the rollers. My experience thus far has been overall positive. Remember, I have no prior roller experience to bring to the table, so my opinions are specific to this unit only. The unique aspect of this roller is that it has a "floating" base, meaning rubber bands allow some forward and backward motion of the drums so when I stand, the bike on the rollres will kind of flow with me. In the picture, the black frame is stationary on the floor, the gold frame is what supports the drums and is attached to the black frame at the front and back. Supposedly, this floating motion aids in the ability to adapt to rollers easily, creates a more natural road feel, and allows for harder/stand up efforts without risk of coming off the rollers. There are also a couple of safety bars that surround the rear wheel so a crash is minimized. Jeez, I can only image the gong show should I come off the rollers at speed!

The manual recommends using a wall for support while getting acclimated to the unit. I actually found I was leaning on it too heavily. I used the step up crate, clip in my left and just start pedaling and then clip in the right just like a normal start on the road. Now, the wall serves as security and the crate helps with the higher level.

You do need to remember the fact that your actually riding/steering your bike, so watching TV is a little more touch and go. The fan I have set up in front helps serve as a center point of reference.

I have had a couple of "moments" and I'm so convinced I'm really riding, I actually put on my brakes! In sum, I'm confident these will help make me very well prepared once I'm out on the road for real.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

rollers are good for your pedal stroke, making sure one leg isn't over working etc...
5 hours on the rollers?! wow,

Kurt P. said...

these ALSO have resistance so you can do intervals too, so they are not JUST for pedal technique (which is a bit of an oxymoron).

The best indoor training device...hands down. I love (said tongue in cheek...) mine.

Wheels said...

Let's be clear. That's 5 hours total, not in 1 sitting!

Eternal Roots said...

you can also close your eyes and use no hands to keep those tech skills sharp

Wheels said...

Lay off those green eggs and ham Sam!