Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Decompressing MTB Nats

It has been over a week now, and although the event was a lot of fun, especially with the fam, I hadn't been able to have closure on the biggest event of my season. This year brought 2 major changes in my racing: new coach, new category. Thus, it has been difficult to gauge my fitness against a new level of competition. I also skipped out on no less than 6 spring road races plus a stage race so I wasn't sure if that would hurt or not affect my performance.
Looking at the results at Nats, I'd like to think I can draw the conclusion that I am in decent shape, I am inline with where I was last year, and my result is indicative of where I should have finished. Here is how I came up with this:
1. My finish time of 130minutes was a few slower than French Freye's which was close to our finish at a race the weekend before.
2. This time would have placed me close to 40th in the pros who did the same # laps.*
3. My time divided by 4 laps versus the experts time divided by 3 laps would have put me in contention to win every expert age category.* U23 is a different story however!
* The pros raced on slightly wetter terrain, the experts a bit more so. But, with the experts doing only 3 laps, I'm pretty sure I would have been pushing quite a bit harder on the climbs so it's a wash in my book.

If you think this is BS, keep quiet because it's helping me feel better about my race! Another no-race weekend coming up, but I'm hoping to hit up both Bbury and the 'bowl.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw the times at snow and compared them myself. I don’t know how much of a difference racing at 9am would have been vs. 2pm. I think it was a few degrees hotter during my race and much more humid. How much that will slow one down I have no idea.
I do know is that you had a solid result and race. Comparison or no compression you did a great job esp for an old man!

rick is! said...

wheels isn't old, he's historically blessed. oh, and gray, very gray.

Wheels said...

Thanks Freye. I hadn't taken the heat into consideration. You've been killing it this year so you're a pretty good mark for me, gray hairs and all!

Unknown said...

haha I love the historically blessed joke! See you guys at the Bowl! I love that race