Saturday, July 19, 2008

USA MTB Nats XC Pre-race report

The fam and I loaded up the family truckster and made the trek south and west on Wednesday to Mt. Snow using the rest day for travel.


Babs' KONA Lisa HT was relegated to ride in the elements on the roof




We stopped in Brattleboro for dinner at an old stomping ground when I was in grad school



Thursday was pre-ride day. The boys were equally amped to be riding.

I originally planned to road ride to loosen up and do 1 lap of the course given the traditional brutality of the course. But, I eased onto the course instead and soon headed through the start/finish and up the mountain. There were rumors of changes to the course, but I still didn't really know what to expect. The start loop was quite different, taking out a techy singletrack section and replacing it with a screaming downhill on a fireroad back to the start/finish area. Then the toughest climbing of the lap began. The bonus being, they took out a 99% 0f the time impossible to ride section and sent us up a fire road instead. It was this section where I lost the jersey last year as the eventual winner was a faster runner than I. This is not XTERRA, this is just biking, and the winner should be the best biker, not duathlete. The mid-section of the course was pretty much all climbing, but the descent down was well worth it. They also re-routed some of the most challenging downhill singletrack making it a very rider-friendly course for all participants, albeit less challenging for the more advanced riders. Also excluded was a perennial mud bog that seemed to collect all of the mountains drainage after a rainstorm, and it always seems to rain here. I was very happy descending, so happy that I decided to do another lap.
The legs felt good and I was amped for the race the next day, a nice change from my usual nervousness.

Podium pose practice

1 comment:

Eternal Roots said...

Looking forward to the report! 22nd out of 66 in the semi-pro field ain't too shabby!!!