Monday, September 22, 2008

Sucker Brook 'Cross Report 9/21

7th/19 Elite

The new cycling season has begun! It was with much anticipation that I headed south and east to this self-described "grassroots" event. I had always noted this race in year's past, but my schedule wouldn't allow my participating in it. All obstacles were clear this year and after an inspirational final run on the mtb, I was enthusiastic about transitioning to CX.
Babs and the boys headed to the Common Ground Fair and I did the only-child thing by cruising to the race solo.
I hadn't worked on CX skills much, but the GrillZ race had ample running in it and I had been riding the Major Jake all week. I felt confident in my overall ability, but was very curious about where my fitness would stack up against the competition.
I arrived a bit later than I planned and had to change quicker than Superman in a phonebooth into my PVC kit in order to get a lap in before the Elite women's race. Little did I know this would be my only opportunity to pre-ride before riding it in the red! I immediately liked the course. It had 50 yard straights in a field followed by some high speed and some technical turns. There was a staircase, and 1 set of barriers. My least favorite section was a long doubletrack path in the woods that was bumpy enough with buried baby heads and roots and chopped-up terain to make it semi-annoying. I was grateful, however, for 2 turns that helped break up the abuse which I excelled in. There was a sand pit that we hit twice, the second time right before a tough 180 degree turn on an incline. Then it was back to pavement and the start/finish line.
The field wasn't stacked due to other conflicting events. But, the quality was there in the form of the Corner Cycle gang of Bold, Hines, and Stotz plus Mark McCormack. This could have been renamed the Old Elite race!
I chose to line up behind the Corner Cyclers rather than alongside figuring they were going to be setting the pace and I wanted to be a part of it right from the get-go. Well, Hines couldn't clip in so the strategy was out the window right away! Amazingly, I found myself in 5th in the field and the pace felt very moderate. Soon though, the tide changed and before I knew it I was engulfed by the pack and relegated to like 11th!

ALL PHOTOS BY ALL-AROUND GREAT GUY/RACER PAUL WEISS
My resolve was strong today though, and I was going to leave it all on the course no matter what place I was in. The race quickly settled into a lead group of 4, followed by a chase group of 4, and I was paired up with another guy. He and I worked together well. I would rest a bit in the open sections drafting behind, and I would push the pace in the techy stuff. Soon we could see the pack ahead splintering and it spit out 1 then 2 guys. That was all the motivation we needed and our cooperation was key to reeling them in. We blew right through the 1st guy, but the 2nd clung on and ended up matching our pace and actually working with us. The other 2 were within reach ahead and I was not about to settle for any spots. I was happy to be where I was, but wanted more. With 3 to go, I made a charge through the sand and used a new, lower line that helped me make the turn quicker and suddenly I had a gap on my guys. It was in chase and fear of getting caught-mode that I rode the last few laps.
I never closed the gap, but I maintained my gap and was very happy with my perfomance. The bike handled very predictably save for one drop of the chain and I felt pretty in control of the vomit wanting to escape from my mouth!
It was rewarding to win some cash, but half was spent on gas getting to and from Auburn! The next 2 weeks will be dedicated to prepping for the biggest CX race in New England on 11/12-13 in Gloucester, MA. I'll be toeing the line with the likes of KONA's Ryan Trebon and possibly Lance Armstrong!

No comments: