Monday, April 20, 2009

SIP Training Crit Race Report

Fellow KHS'r Matt Moore and I teamed up and made the commute down to Scarborough early Sunday morning to participate in race #3 of the training series put on by SMCC. This is a low-key, fun event on a great, safe course.


It was a chilly start to the day but things got heated up quickly once the race action got underway. Coach Kurt prescribed 1700kj on the day so I was looking to put in a pretty good effort. My strategy was to stay out front and be in any breaks.
The pace was high from the gun and the key players were checking out the competition. About 5 into the 20 total laps, former PVC Elite team member Morgan MacLeod and OA/CycleMania teammate John Meerse inched away.

Instead of trying to bridge up to them and risk bringing the field, I chose to play blocker and break-coverer for the rest of the way. It was pretty fun work and the effort was pretty solid. At one point Matt caught a ride to the front and passed by with a big "Hey Wheels!" Matt rode intelligently the whole race, keeping in contact with the fast main field right up to thefinal lap. You'll have to check his blog to read about his subsequent bonk and off-course detour!
At the end I was pretty spent and had nothing left for a sprint finish, letting the field swarm around me and I crossed the line unceremoniously, but happy knowing Meerse won the race.
Matt and I took a scenic cool down jaunt to Prout's Neck, even catching a glimpse of Mt. Washington.
It was a great way to spend the morning and I slightly exceeded my training goal for the day.
Next up are Turtle Pond and Quabbin road events this weekend.

Thanks to Dana for the race shots.

2 comments:

rick is! said...

nice. looks like you had a good turnout. was hartley there?

Anonymous said...

A few good shots of you at Turtle Pond:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmcewan/collections/72157617316638316/

You guys definitely came out in force - awesome!