Wednesday, August 22, 2007

MMBA #5 Report 8/19

Expert Vet I 1st
1st Overall

This day's race was a real stress-reliever. We Wheeldens all packed up Saturday morning and made the short trek to the 'loaf. After I didn't register in time for the Mt. Washington hillclimb, we decided a suitable replacement for that weekend away would be a stay on the mountain. Babs booked a condo with pool access to entertain everyone and all looked in place for a fun 24 hours. Unfortunately, outside forces would impact the level of enjoyment significantly.
We left the Hill under cloudy skies and encountered showers all the way to the mountain, including a good dosing right in Carrabassett Valley. The plan was to drop me off at the beginning of the recreation trail in the Valley and while I rode up to and around the course, the fam would habg out at an art/music fest. The rain washed away those plans. So, we headed to the Outdoor Center where although chilly, it wasn't raining. Babs & Co. dropped me off and they headed to the pool and condo. I had to don a long sleeve and was pretty cold until I hit the climb and started working.
The course began per usual, wide open through the lower section, into last year's new singletrack, wide open again, then up the climb in the field to the steepy condo climb, then dropped down into the infamous Widowmaker trail to begin the return to the start/finish. This section has really seen better days. It used to be pretty fun, but it has evolved into a drainage ditch revealing massive roots, rocks, and areas of sand. I had a dab on each of my 3 race laps including the pre-ride, despite having a pretty good feel for where to ride. Once flushed out onto the open nordic trails, I was pleasantly suprised to encounter a smooth, wide open trail. All of the baby-head rocks and single-lane tracks were smoothed over flat with a nice layer of dirt. Had it not rained and left it a little muddy, new time records would have been set. Instead of worrying about what was around the next turn or scrubbing speed to save from snakebit tubes, you could let it all hang out in these sections. I knew from my total pre-ride time the race was going to be fast. The remainder of the course was the same and I enjoyed the ride, taking time to go over some sections a couple of times. I rode back up the ascent to the condo, hit the pool with the fam, and prepared to chill for the evening.
My hopes were dashed for a couple of reasons: 1.) The boys were absolute terrors ripping around the condo, arguing, and thrashing each other about. I assume no one was below us or we would have heard from them. At one point I just let them outside like a couple of dogs and said to just let loose! 2.) I got a call from one of my part-time rink workers telling me the ice was melting! My absolute worst nightmare! Apparently the power went out early Saturday morning and tripped out the compresssors so they didn't run all day resulting in a slow thawing of the ice. As we had no rentals until Sunday, had he not come in we would have surely lost the ice entirely. After about 3 hours of phone calls and getting Pat to come in, the compressors were reset and came on to re-freeze everything. Some damage was done, however, as the white paint seperated, leaving some darker shaded areas. After some re-building and peoplae skating on it, no one will even notice hopefully.
So, I awoke Sunday with some agression to a fall-like feel. It was sunny, but sub-60 forcing me to don leg warmers and a long sleeve and jacket for my warm-up ride to the venue. I hooked up with Freye (who was riding his rigid old-school GT Avalanche dressed up as a single-speed) and we did a couple of hill repeats to open up the legs and then lined up on the silly 5-wide start line on a hill. I decided I would do it 'cross style and run then hop on just to keep it upright.


I was behind at the outset, but settled in quickly as Adam LaRochelle got off to his typical quick start, then LaFlamme, then me, then Freye, then some Legal Sea Food guy. I acclerated past LaFlamme after the first single-track as he slowed to recover. I had gears and was determined to use them in pursuit of Adam and to get away from Freye. I knew he'd be spinning pretty furiously on the open sections and my legs were feeling very fresh. I grabbed Adam's wheel and he sped up for a spell as a form of defense, but then eased into a steady pace. I was feeling like I could do more, so I passed and set my sights on climbing at my own pace with the others behind serving as motivation. My goal was to finish first overall in hopes of aligning myself up for the end of season Master of Mud award so I sought out every opportunity to distance myself from the field, especially if I flatted and needed time to change it. I climbed with the heart at about 180bpm and glanced back to see a small group about 20 seconds back. No sign of Freye as I later found out he flatted right after the first single-track, despite having 40psi in his tires! As I entered the Widowmaker, the LSF guy had made up some ground and was about 10 seconds back, but I descended semi-smoothly and didn't hear from him again. I completed the lap smoothly and crossed the start-finish 2nd. Wait, what? Apparently a junior expert had missed a section of trail and was like 3 minutes ahead of me! Luckily others caught the error and he was relegated back.
The 2nd lap was largely uneventful. I dabbed a couple of times, reminding me not to ride cockily, but sensibly. The 3rd lap I decided to try the climb in the big ring to see if I could do it and use it as prep for the upcoming Green Mountain Stage Race. I did it no problem, but returned to the middle ring on the condo climb. I had a great last lap, enjoying the fruits of one of my all-time favorite courses and crossed the line first overall, mission accomplished.
Unfortunately the fam was no where to be found, so I sped over to where they were running the kids races and caight Fenix's start. I was elected lead-moto and led the tykes around the field. Fenix paused to wait for 1 boy who was off his bike crying, but after I came around again everyone finished. Suprised to see a Wheelden be such a good sport! Drake was a little out-classed and under-biked in his race even losing to a girl, but he finished without a complaint. Here he has his race face on with pal Jamie Seymour.Looks like a new Kona is in his future!
Freye wisely picked an inflation device for his prize. I'm hoping all the brain rattling on the rigid will get him off my back telling me to go semi-pro!
Babs was again the consummate team manager, preparing a great meal and putting up with us hot-headed racer boys!
Next up is a couple of crits in Saco on Saturday as we reutn home from a final week's vacation on Cape Cod.

No comments: