Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Specialized BG S-Works MTB Shoes


With some downtime between races, I thought I would share my thoughts on some equipment that is new to me this season. I realized mid-summer the importance/value/benefits of good shoes. I've been sporting a pair of Louis Garneau's since last year. I grew extremely disenchanted by the ratchet latch system as it was a constant battle to release them. Otherwise the shoe felt good, but when I started doing research for a new pair weight became a factor. The LG's were fat pigs that I was lugging around and around! So, my focus turned to finding a lightweight shoe that had didn't have a ratchet system or velcor straps alone and was light. I was drawn to the Lakes but the company had no production timeline. So, Specialized emerged as the winner and I got a pair for father's day. They felt a little big at the outset, but not too long, just roomy. The strap towards the toe couldn't cinch the material tight enough, but once riding and dialing in the Boa closure, they felt fine. I was immediately pleased with the Boa as it did a good job of snugging the shoe evenly around my foot. The release took some learning, but worked OK. I think I read somewhere on the web that there was the potential for them to release, but I couldn't imagen how as the push button was so small and apparently protected. After a few training rides, they were race-tested at Biddeford; a technical course with some off-bike runs. I found I would have to dial them up a couple more times once riding to get the proper tightness, but this was relatively easy on the bike thanks to the dial. Amazingly, 1 shoe did release and I have no idea how other than I may have hooked it just right on a stick/log as I passed. Fortunately I was able to rotate the dial and missed only a few pedal strokes. They have released 1 other time during a fall, so I would say it's definitely an issue. Overall, my feet feel light, I can get in and out of them easily, the traction on the bottom is very grippy so I'm happy with them. Hopefully the random releases will be few and far between. I liked the way they feel so much, I'm getting their road version in orange just to be obnoxious!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Resurrecting your review on the S-Works shoe, have you had anymore issues with the Boa system (lace breaking, etc.)

Thanks

Wheels said...

No breakage, although I have been warned to have a spare wire lace on hand. They definitely run big around the front of the foot. I do need to tighten them up at least a few times until they're snug while riding. But given all that, I can really sense they're lightweight and I think worth the minor issues.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a weight on them?

Regards
Henric