Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Look What Santa Brought!


Actually, when I was in limbo in Boston awaiting Babs' and the boys' return from MN last Thursday in the snowstorm, I picked this puppy up from Cycle Loft.
This is the Inside Ride eMotion. I have never ridden rollers and given the early snow this year, it looks like a long off-season indoors so it was time to give them a try. I have been suffering with this Minoura rim-drive for the past 2 seasons. It has done the job, but the sessions were always dreaded.


Hopefully riding rollers will be less of an act of self-mutilation!
In terms of learning to ride them, it took me 2, 5-minute sessions wearing sneakers to ride freely. I sort of followed the company's advice to use a wall as support, but actually found that starting off like normal off of step up worked best and I was spinning away. I'll post any relevant experience on them as the season rolls on.

4 comments:

rick is! said...

look cool. i've been toying with getting a set of rollers. i'm also on a cheap ass minoura trainer. it works but only barely and i can't actually do sprints on it because its wattage isn't high enough to deal.

Wheels said...

So far I've just been riding easy. It's no substitute for outside, but it's a pedal better than a fixed wheel.

Unknown said...

no need for rollers or a trainer! just ride outside year round. put on your ski helmet, ski gear and go!
oh and why is your bike ontop of the zamboni???
andrewfreye.com is up and running..

Wheels said...

You're a freak Freye! Take your ski goggles and plastic baggies on your extremities and have fun! I'll be sweating with the oldies!