Monday, October 20, 2008

Downeast Cyclocross Race Report 10/18

Elite Masters 35+
Tied for 1st


Fantastic photos again courtesy of Dana!

I know you're saying: Huh? Tied? That can't be. In short, Kurt Perham and I called a truce and decided to cross the line together. Since he's my coach, I threatened to demand a refund if he beat me because he must be training me to go slowly. In response, he said he would fire me if I didn't win. Thus, a tie and we both come out OK!
In brief, I hit the Masters' race because I had a high school series race to host back at KHS later that afternoon. John Grenier at the line summed it up best, this was for Maine bragging rights amongst us oldies!
Onto the action. The smallish field lined up on a slight paved incline that then threw us down the road onto grass a 90 degree left and there were the barriers. The remainder of the course was fairly punishing. There was lots of elevation changes and you were on the gas quite a bit. They flattened out a traditionally challenging off-camber section and the run-up ended up being rideable, although it was a thigh buster to maintain traction and a stiff open climb followed shortly thereafter. I was solid in the techy stuff, but redlined the entire race.
I was basically the lettuce in a BIKEMAN sammich from the gun. Ryan Rumsey was the rabbit at the start and led the 1st lap. Then KP took control and was solo about 20-50 yards ahead of me

and Big Al was gnawing at my rear tire offerring no help at all to catch Kurt.

Eventually, Kurt slowed with 4 to go and allowed Al and I to gain contact. KP was chillin' for the finish I knew so I just let the race play out. Al led for a spell than had a random stick in the derailleur distract him. Kurt attacked, I responded, Al was dropped, and Kurt and I played it out to the end.
It was fun to race with those guys. They are MAD fast! I think it must be the 45 minutes, they are all out the whole time. Not to mention, they're some talented!

Babs really helped make the race possible as she shuffled from parent conferences to soccer and back. The winnings will be spent on her, I promise. Just not more boots!

Next up is Noho in a couple weeks.

1 comment:

Kurt P. said...

tell Babs you got 50 bones coming your way to offset her sacrifices!