Saturday, October 11, 2008

Gran Prix of Gloucester #1 Race Report (brief)

Elite
28/52

"The New England Worlds!" The biggest CX races in the region are half over. This course has not been too kind to me over the years and today did not dissappoint.
I had a 4th row spot at the start, not too shabby. But, I was involved with a rider at the start who seemed like stuck his foot in his front spokes and was riding a nose wheelie on the top tube right into my line. We made side contact, but I stayed upright and watched at least 85% of the field ride ahead without me.
Awesome photos stolen from Dana
I gathered my strength and rode hard for the 1st lap making some passes here and there. On lap 2 I found myself at the tail end of a large group. Burnsy was up towards the front and I was hanging around with Tom Gosselin. I made a move on the climb from the baseball field up to the gazebo and bided my time behind another guy as we made the final turn before spilling onto the baseball diamond and towards the start/finish. This card ends up lassoing his handlebars around the stake and I T-bone him and snap the stake with my chest. A small group passes and I gather myself back up and proceed only to discover I have to steer way left to go straight. My handlebars were tweaked in the wreck! So, I stop to straighten them and another 6 riders blaze away. It felt like quitting time, but I had such great legs I decided to stick it out and see where I would end up.

Photo courtesy of fellow PVC racer Deke Andrew

My goal for the day was top 50% and my hope was top 25. I was painfully close to accomplishing them both! Oh well. No crying here. Just saying what coulda/shoulda. I was happy with my performance despite the incidents and am looking forward to tomorrow, hoping I have some legs to accomplish those goals. The boys and Papa and Auntie Kat will be there to cheer me on so I'm willing to dig DEEP!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your mishaps. Par for the course?

Looking forward to your post for Sunday's race. Saw the nasty climb for the course Sunday. Ouch!

Took tons of photos at the race Saturday. Feel free to check them out - some good shots of you as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmcewan/sets/72157607939752908/

Dana

rick is! said...

bummer man. I guess thats what happens when you jamb 100 crazy bike nuts on such a short course!

Ryan said...

http://exit17.net/wp/?p=676