Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hutchinson Bulldog CX Tires

Here is the tubeless-ready tire/tubeless wheelset combo I liked/hated @ Gloucester:


The system is currently 2 for 3 at races. I rode it all day yesterday @ Bradbury without any issues.

The deal with these tires is in order to set them up tubeless, you need to add a sealant. When I first seated them on the rim, I tried to inflate with just a pump. The bead seated, but the tires lost pressure quickly. So, I went with the manufacturer's recommendation of the Hutchinson FastAir that combines air and sealant. Right away, I could see the sealant spreading leaving a white tint all along the sidewalls meaning they are thin and where most of the air would undoubtedly escape.

On Saturday @ Gloucester, I felt like I ran a little too much pressure @ 40psi and wanted the luxury of a bit smoother ride on Sunday. I went down to 38. My pre-race was similar to the day before, so I don't believe I lost any any prior to the start. However, in the last techy section on an off-camber turn, the front rolled off the rim no doubt due to too little air pressure.

I ran the pair again @ Pinelands last weekend @ 40psi and had no problems. I think that's the key. I wish I could run lower pressure for improved handling and comfort. But I would prefer to finish a race a bit slower possibly then to not finish at all. We'll see how it goes from there. Just wanted to relay my experience. Keep the rubber side down!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had good success this season with these tires. I ran them on Ultegra 6700 rims with Stan's sealant. Rode pressures down to the low 30's. I weigh 150. No flats, no air loss during races or training, no tire leaving the rim. I did have to top off the tires within 2 days as there was gradual air loss.