Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Great Osprey Challenge @ Freeport

2nd

All I have to say is “Whew, it’s good to be out front again!” Now I know what you’re saying, according to my last post I needed to get back to my roots and race for fun and purpose, not just to win. Well, that’s just how it went down. I essentially had a rest week and had 2 easy, thoroughly enjoyable road rides through the gorgeous foliage-surrounded backroads. Then, Babs and I went to Boston Friday to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I blew off a ride on Saturday. Finally, the whole family could go. So, I had a relaxed attitude to take into a relaxed race, the perfect combination.The whole family awoke to a glorious sunny, fall day and headed south to Freeport. I added this race for the ham sandwich of it seeing as how it was held at Wolf Neck Farm (fun for the kids), it was a nice day, and we were heading to Portland that afternoon anyway to attend the ME Mountain Bike Association Awards banquet.

We are the champs!

This is a unique race for 3 reasons: 1. it’s not sanctioned by any racing association, 2. there is a 3/4mile dirt road section with a sketchy bridge, 3. an individual must choose between either a 4.4 mile or 22 mile race and it is a mass group start regardless of ability/gender/religion/etc. I raced this event way back in and finished 3rd or 4th.Upon arrival however, I saw signs that indicated this may not be a leisurely jaunt by any means. There were a number of PVC club riders as well as maybe half of the Elite team plus a few other legit roadies in attendance. Undaunted, I kept my attitude focused on fun and was prepared to let fate dictate the race results. My coach said to cover the breaks, go for broke at the finish, and have fun. Easy! In keeping with the relaxed attitude, I had no warm up (not by design, but thankfully the first lap was pretty tame!). Meg and Catherine surprised us by showing up which was cool as it was Meg’s first road race. She was nervous, but determined. We rolled off fairly gently on the dirt road and over the bridge and began our first lap as 1 big group. Evidently there was a bit of a pile up on the bridge further back in the pack, but no apparent damage. Over the course of the first 2 laps there were 2, 1-man breaks by PVC guys, but they never got very far. The wind was pretty unforgiving for a solo effort. The thing to watch was how the remainder of the PVC and Elite guys were reacting. They definitely were up front controlling the pace, but there were enough nomads like me that pushed the pace to keep the breakaways in sight. Apparently the dirt road took its toll as at least 3 guys flatted on the first lap. They rejoined the group as we went through the start-finish as we headed out for our 3rd lap. I noticed these guys merging and thought that was the case, but couldn’t be sure while riding hard. It was during this 3rd lap that the race’s finish was dictated. I suddenly found myself with 3 other guys putting in a decent effort and we started to distance ourselves from the rest of the field. It was on!

Our group consisted of me, a PVC Elite rider, a PVC club rider, and another guy I have raced against at various events this year. The PVC Elite kid (turns out he’s only 19 and a Cat. 2) got us organized and we all shared the duties of pulling, then drifting back to recover. We kept the hammer down for the next 2 laps and the field was out of sight. I would love to know what was going on back there. Were we just that fast or did the rest of the PVC guys do their job and control the pace of the pack to let their guy get away? Well, regardless, the finish was up to the 4 of us and I was pretty elated about that! Finish tactics within our group began with about 1 mile to go. I had finished a pull and was 3rd in line when the Elite team rider took off the front. It caught me by surprise and it was too late to react so I settled for battling for 2nd. We were sizing each other up along the last dirt road section when I heard a pop and hiss. Finally, it wasn’t my wheel! Ron got a flat and became a non-factor as it was now between the PVC guy and me. I ended up leading the last section, giving the other guy the advantage and he took off and I couldn’t respond. So, I thought I finished 3rd but it turns out he was 1 of the racers who was down a lap, relegating me to 2nd and I was psyched! Catherine had a strong finish, towing another guy along, placing her first for all women. Meg persevered battling the conditions solo and came across with a smile on her face, priceless.Unfortunately they ran the kids’ race while I was racing so I didn’t get to see it. Drake battled 2 much older kids on bikes with gears, but kept his little legs spinning wildly and finished 3rd out of 4 because 1 kid dumped it in a huge mud puddle! Fenix sat this one out, but they both got new bells so they’ll be heard all over campus like me now!Would I be this satisfied had I not placed well? I would hope so because you can’t take away the great week it was leading up to the race. Life is good.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: