Thursday, October 12, 2006

U.S. Gran Prix of Cyclocross #1 & 2

Saturday: 47th/105 (flatted)
Sunday: 40th/112

What a great weekend! The weather was spectacular, the racing fun and intense, and the whole family made the trip down. We all arrived in Boston Friday night and tried to get settled down for bed, but the kids were pretty excited. Saturday Babs and the kids did the city thing and went to the Aquarium then met Gigi in Harvard Square. New Lego, stuffed Manta Ray, and shark monster truck toys were the highlight of the day! We all did a rendezvous back at the apartment then went to the Border CafĂ© for dinner, a tradition whenever we’re in town. Babs and I carried the kids home, bedded down and then split for race #2 Sunday morning where we met up with Papa and Auntie Kat. The racing was sort of a side attraction, which was OK because the races really didn’t mean too much for my season. These were the first 2 of 6 races that make up the national cyclocross series. I’m obviously not competing in the series as the remaining races are held in Colorado, Washington, and Oregon. However, they were a great opportunity to determine how I stack up against a national-caliber field and to gain some UCI points which might help with a call up at the Nationals in December. I hadn’t done a ‘cross race yet, so I was basically getting thrown into the fire! The only slight bummer about the weekend was how the races started. In this sport, the start means everything, so everybody wants to be at the front when the gun goes off. There was information supplied by the promoter that racers were going to be lined up based on when they registered for the event. I thought I was in good shape as I was #18 on the list. Unfortunately, this procedure was not followed up on race day and it turned into first come-first served basis. I showed up to the start about 15 minutes before the event and was about 5 rows/10 wide deep behind. While waiting for the start, I heard an announcement that Sunday’s lineup would be based on Saturday’s finish. Well I guess that was just for the top-20. Even though I played it cautiously and went to the start ½ hour early, there were already 70 guys standing there. Double crap! However, this was merely a bump in the road that has already had much forum discussion as the fun overshadowed the misinformation. Saturday: I was about 70th across the start line and quickly advanced many positions as there was a pile up early as the herd tried to get through the first narrow section. I was quite comfortable on the bike and was able to rail the twists and turns, continuing to pass less-skilled riders. I got through the first lap after banging several hips and elbows and was settling halfway into my second lap when I heard a clank, clank, clank, and then a pop and then a hissssssssssss. For the second year in a row, same race, same day, I flatted! I thought I ran over something and it was confirmed later by a single puncture in the tube, quite possibly a nail which caused the initial noise. Luckily, I was on the lower half of the course which is where the pit area was and I was able to limp in, change the wheel, and carry on. Of course I lost a ton of positions, but I was determined to battle back, remember, I was thinking about the next day’s lineup. I worked hard, got acclimated better with the bike, and just kept passing people and enjoyed the dull pain that is ‘cross. There’s no telling where I would have ended up without the flat, but for perspective, I finished 80-something last year. Sunday: an even better day weather-wise greeted the Wheeldens. I hyped up the playground and as soon as we parked Babs and the kids were off. I pre-rode the course and it was virtually identical to the day before’s. So instead of wasting time there, I got on the trainer and warmed up and went to the start and we know what happened there. Unfortunately this start was smooth and I didn’t gain too many spots right away from my 80-something position. I did pass some folks, but I also got passed as I couldn’t go hard from the get-go, no doubt attributed to the 30-minutes of standing around. I had 2 near-death experiences: 1. When a rider ahead went through the course tape and somehow I got it wrapped around my pedal forcing me to counterbalance and power though it. It finally broke off, but I had a streamer thing going for a bit! 2. When I made it 3-wide in a turn and locked the right side of my handlebars with a guy while my left side contacted a course marker which I think evened out the imbalance and we all carried on! Otherwise, I just rode hard, and accepted my position wherever I ended up. Although the results sheet showed I only improved 7 spots over Saturday’s flat race, I know I had a much poorer start and was just as fast as the day before. With the races over, it was time to get Drake, Fenix, and even Katherine to the kids’ race, and this is where the fun really began! There were a ton of kids. Drake lined up on the inside and had a good start getting through the first turn unscathed avoiding a pileup. Fenix was slow off the line, but it worked to his advantage as he too avoided the melee that was in front of him. They did 2 laps and on the final turn, there was another mixup, but Drake weaseled through and crossed the line in first! A big win at a national event!



I was thinking I needed to help Fenix get around, but he did a great job and didn’t need my assistance at all. The crowd and the announcer were all pulling for him as the youngest in the race.



So at least someone in the family earned a spot on the podium!





"What's next in your biking career?"
Katherine did a great job in her first race ever. She got tangled up with another rider and went down, but got right back up and motored on. It was rewarding to wrap up the weekend with watching the kids have so much fun. Next up is the most important race weekend of the cyclocross season as it sets the tone for the New England Series: NECCS #1 & 2 @ New Gloucester which includes the ME state championship as well.






Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful day that you captured well. Your energy and enthusiasm for biking is infectious and our kids have the bug!