Tuesday, October 24, 2006

NECS/MMBA Series Finals @ Reid State Park

2nd/7 Expert Vet I
9th Overall
Yesterday’s race marked the end of the mountain bike race season for me. The GrillZ Memorial Race held at gorgeous Reid State Park played host to both the Maine and New England series final. Heading into the race, I was looking to solidify my points lead in the ME series, and my 3rd place standing in the NE series Expert Vet I. I came out with both goals accomplished thanks to my 2nd place finish. Pro Michael Patrick from CT won my division on the day, and he clinched the NE series overall as well. As a result of an unofficial conversation between Alan Starret and me, he did not compete as his focus has already shifted to cyclocross. Big Al was my closest competitor in the ME series. This marks the first time I’ve finished first in any division in the ME series so I’m very pleased. It means another goal accomplished for the season. Race day weather was sketchy, but luckily the showers held off all day. The forecast helped decide to keep Babs, my mom and the kids at home. We were having Fenix’s 3rd birthday party at the Alfond later that day anyway, so the time at home was well spent by Babs preparing for the Star Wars themed event. The chilly wind was a different matter at the park. Post-race cleanup was done hastily in an effort to just get warm and out of the mud-soaked clothing. I was supposed to do a 60 minute easy ride, but that wasn’t happening today! I had planned to wear either leg warmers or tights for the race as the temperature was in the 50’s, but opted not to because no one else was wearing any. That’s peer pressure for you! The wind was not a factor in the woods, and the legs were caked with mud pretty quickly so it didn’t matter! Friday’s downpour left its mark on the course. The technical climbs were a challenge to find traction and the pipeline section was unridable for long stretches, complete with shin-deep mudholes (some were even chest deep when you go over the handlebars and land in one! More on that later.). All pros/experts lined up and we did our best example of rodeo barrel racing as we did a quick loop in the parking lot to thin the field before going into the singletrack. I was top-12 or so once we were single file. A couple of guys went by and I went by a couple so it evened out. Teammate Adam LaRochelle and I ended up together and we rode the first half of the race in line. He would slip and I’d pass him. Then I would slip and he’d pass. I guess that’s working together as we would show each other the line NOT to take so the other guy could pass! I pulled away from him on the 3rd lap and didn’t see him until the end. On that lap I spied Kirk Turner up ahead and it motivated me to bridge the gap. I ended up on his back tire mid-way through the final lap and pulled ahead of him on the flat, open, fast section. He was not to be dropped however, so I ended up pulling him until the final single track section. He was tactful, and passed me before the entrance. I let him know I didn’t want to get held up in there as it seemed like he was slow earlier in the lap. Well, I ate my words, or should I say mud! I proceeded to endo not once, twice, but 3 times in the final mile and Kirk was a distant memory. One crash was one of the hardest hits I’ve taken. Somehow I landed my chest square on a huge root making it painful to take deep breaths, even today. On that crash, my bike did a perfect flip and was resting on the seat and handlebars like I was a little kid working on the chain or something! I think I had the ability to chuckle. The final fall was insult to injury as I fell square into the mud, covering my body. Classic close to the season which had to have been the muddiest in recent memory.
Trying to make the most of a muddy situation.
Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable day and I enjoyed talking with Andrew Freye and Matty O’Keefe and Aaron Millett. I am simply in awe of the Aegis Proaxe. This bike took a significant beating this season as I never really had my “A” game in terms of technical skills. I crashed often, but mere scrapes are the only signs. The components performed flawlessly. Credit goes to a great frame and stellar building by Kennebec Bike and Ski. Next up is the biggest ‘cross weekend besides Nationals as I head to Gloucester, MA for the US Gran Prix.

The student schools the teacher!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: