Friday, June 29, 2007

F-L Circuit Race Report

28 mile Circuit Race (9 laps on a 3.1 mile course)
Masters 35+
32nd/93
Start line (juniors lined up)

Today’s race was not without drama, but it occurred on the last lap so I’ll get to it later. Phenomenal weather greeted us at the start line consisting of sunny skies, 70’s and no humidity. The course had a flat section with a few turns into a screaming downhill then a sharp right-hander to a 2-tiered climb to the finish. As much as the course has to offer, it’s impossible to get away so there’s never any change in the overall GC as the pack stays together by virtue of the long descent. The fact that the average speed was 28mph should clue you into the torrid pace of the pack. One can only hope to compete for a stage win, and he’s generally the first guy into the final corner. We go from 3 lanes wide to a right turn onto a 2-lane side road. It’s tense to say the least.
Hillclimb finish (Cat. 3s)

So, we rode safely together for 8 laps, knowing that the final lap was going to be the deciding factor. I was intent on staying in the top-20 in the group and was successful in doing so until the final lap. For whatever reason, on the 8th lap climb I got shuffled back and was deep in the field on the last lap. This was not good. I knew I had to be up front to a.) earn a good finish and b.) stay out of trouble. After the climb I pushed it on the flat, ate up many positions on the turns, then took a line along the edge of the road and found myself right on the leaders’ wheels. My sense of security was short-lived, however, as the pack soon swarmed around us and we began the speedy descent to the final turn. I wanted to be on the outside line to carry momentum into the turn, but I was smack dab in the middle of the field with riders 4 deep on either side of me. I stayed patient, and waited for small openings to emerge and slowly crept to the outside. I didn’t care if I had to battle some headwind, I just wanted out of that pack! I finally got outside when I heard a bang to my right and then the sickening sound of carbon and metal crashing onto asphalt. Wheels touched in the middle of the pack and suddenly riders were down.
Dude involved in the crash in decent spirits

I didn’t look back, just ahead and entered the corner on the outside just as I had hoped albeit a little further back than I would have liked. I hit the hill with all I had and finished grateful I wasn’t involved in the wreck, but wishful for a little better finish.
Next up is the road race with Mt. Wachusett climb finish.
Rad PINK Indy Fab ridden by a DUDE!

No comments: