Friday, June 22, 2007

Wheel weights

In a less-than-perfect environment, I weighed my 3 different road wheelsets to see if there was a glaring advantage as I plan for the Fitchburg Longsjo stage race this weekend. Here are the results without taking tire or skewer choice into consideration:

Shimano Tubeless (12-27cogset)
F: 1000g
R: 1480g
Set: 2480g

Mavic Open Pro 32 hole w/Shimano Dura Ace hubs (12-25)
F: 1020g
R: 1400g
Set: 2420

Mavic Ksyrium ES (12-25)
F: 1000g
R: 1400g
Set: 2400g

It all makes sense I guess. There's a slight weight progression from the tubeless to the higher quality wheelset. But, clearly not enough to worry about, freeing me up to choose the appropriate wheels for any given event. I think I'll go with this:

Circuit race: tubeless
Road race: Ksyrium with 12-27 cogset for Mt. Wachusett climb
Crit: Open Pro

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wheels, why do you have so many high end road wheel sets?? Next question; why do you care about weight on a road bike?? Just don't be the idiot mtn biker out front doing all the work and you will be fine my friend.

Oh and thanks a ton for the pedals. The frogs are awesome! Why would you ever go away from them? so many questions

Wheels said...

Questions lead to questions: Why do I have so many bikes to go with the wheels? Why are you up at midnight? How tough was the Cup race?