Saturday, June 30, 2007

F-L Road Race

58 mile Road Race (5 laps on a 11.4 mile course plus finish up Mt. Wachusett auto road)
Masters 35+
32nd/89
27th Overall GC

Dangit! That’s all I can say.
This race is pretty much the only opportunity one can advance his overall standing as the hillclimb at the end separates the climbers out of the group. If you finish fast, you can move up the GC ladder by beating guys higher up than you. Last year, I leaped from somewhere in the top-40 to top-20 with a 10th place finish. So, I was looking towards this race with great anticipation, hoping to finish equally well and hoping to land in the top-15 in GC. The best laid plans…
Today’s weather was perfect for a race albeit a little windy. We rolled out and quickly got into a nice rhythm and quickly caught the Cat. 3 group that had started 5 mins. ahead of us. The pace was tolerable and I was keeping myself protected in the front of the group. The course is surprisingly hilly with a stiff climb through downtown Princeton and a long false flat to the base of the summit road (we bypass this road until our final lap when we ascend it to the finish). It does have a screaming descent as well because what goes up must come down. My max speed on the downhill was 51mph!
As we hit the Princeton climb for the second time, we were neutralized as the Cat. 3’s got their act together and passed us. Later on the same lap, we were red-flagged as the juniors roared by, no doubt catching us because we had to wait for the 3’s to pass. Once we got racing again, the pace picked up, especially on the hills. I got caught taking it a little easy on the Princeton climb and a gap formed between me and the lead group. I dug deep and chased back on, but that was one effort I wasn’t counting on making. The climbs on the 4th lap were equally attacked and a split formed from the pack. I was lucky enough to be with the leaders, but I was at just about maximum effort. A twinge in my hamstrings told me I was going hard, little did I know this was a warning signal.
We hit the final lap as a group of maybe 50 riders I think. I learned from last year to be sure to be towards the front on the final climb in Princeton as there’s a tendency for the pace to get very high as the leaders push the pace to the base of the climb. Sure enough, it was like a hillclimb sprint. I gave it all I had and managed to be right at the tail end of the group, which was now only about 35 strong. As we hit the false flat I hoped the pace would stabilize, but it didn’t. Some riders were actually attacking and the pack had to respond. I was doing fine just hanging in, when suddenly both hamstrings seized on me. It came out of nowhere and forced me to soft pedal a bit to recover. Well, this couldn’t have come at a worse time. The pack was motoring and there was no time to coast, but I had no choice. I dejectedly watched them continue on without me and make the turn up the mountain. Thankfully, the cramping ceased and I was able to go at my own pace, albeit solo up the hill to muster the best finish and time I could manage given the conditions. Dangit, I was hoping to do better. But, clearly the effort leading up to the climb was a bit more than I could handle, so I must take solace in the fact that I went hard, and am in the position that I deserve.
Sorry no pics today, just envision my pain!
Next up is the criterium where I hope to just hang on.

1 comment:

rick is! said...

hey, if you could ride at 4:30 at the bowl on Wednesday we could do a couple of laps together. I'm doing a group road ride at 5:30 so I'll need to be prompt.

I'll also be going for a couple of laps Saturday morning.

Let me know if you want to meet either/both days.

chiddong@hotmail.com