Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Maine Cycling Weekend Race Report 6/1-2

RR 9th/21 Masters 35+
Crit 9th/31 Cat. 3
Crit 11th/36 Masters 35+

It’s taken me over a week to write this report! I think I’m still feeling a little burned by the way the races evolved into fairly unexciting results. I headed into the weekend at the end of a build period, but felt very good physically and my confidence and expectations were high.
The racing began Saturday afternoon under muggy conditions with rain threatening. Turns out fellow PVCers did an earlier race so it was going to be difficult to organize a strategy.
Fred Thomas solos to victory somewhere in there!

I committed to positioning myself at the front and go with any break that occurred. This ultimately proved to be my undoing. Heavyweights Yabroudy and Bold were in the pack and I knew these were the guys to watch and go with. Well, I went every time they launched an attack, which was about 6 times, and this was only the first lap! Unfortunately, they never maintained their pace and the pack eventually was always brought up to us. So, I figure this is getting old, and tiring, and I let them go the next time. Well, guess what happens? They keep going and the race for 1st and 2nd is effectively over! So, the remainder of the race is basically a pack ride. We got rained on pretty heavily about midway through, but it was kind of refreshing. On the 3rd lap I had some serious hamstring cramping no doubt due to the hard early efforts and a lack of replenishing the body so I drifted to the back for a spell and downed Heed and H2O. I came around OK heading into the 4th lap and a few of us finally organized a small break, but the pack wouldn’t let it materialize. Funny, they chase us down, but not the other guys which is frustrating. So, it came down to a sprint finish. The last mile or so had a good climb and then a long straightaway to the line. I had hoped I could hit the hill hard and then breakaway, but my legs were not cooperative and I actually was mid-pack at the top, just holding on. Everyone came together as we prepped for the sprint. Foolish me ends up back towards the front. Teammate Abramson came up so I sat in behind him hoping this could be the first use of team strategy for me. Well, that would have been nice if I followed him. I was way too eager and could not keep myself disciplined enough to stay back. Instead I drift to the front again while everyone drafts behind me. It’s not like I was going hard, but this was just the beginning of my stupidity! I thought I was feeling really rested and ready to sprint so I start to take off. Problem was, it was way too early and I basically lead everyone else out earning me a very mediocre result given how hard I worked all day. Oh well, tomorrow at the crits was going to be different, right?
Hi, I have no road race strategy!

Wrong! I signed up to run the Cat. 3 and Masters races to get a good workout in. Luckily after an ice bath and excellent meal thanks to Babs the night before and a good warmup on race day my legs were feeling OK. I like this course because it has a stiff, short climb in it where an attack can be launched if you feel so inclined. The Cat. 3 race was first which I wanted to treat as a warmup for the Masters event. Well, pit me against another rider and there’s just no holding back! So much for going easy. Instead, I ended up driving the loco train again.
Why am I not sucking wheel?!

A breakaway of 2 riders ensued early in the event and they contested for the first prime. I hung around the front of the pack and took some turns pulling, but didn’t overstress myself. We reeled in one of the breakers then another guy and I took off from the pack for a moment and I saw the leader was within reach and a prime was at stake so I took off after him and it was a photo finish for the prize, but he got it by less than a wheel.
My only chance for glory. The pack isn't even in sight! STOOPID!

It’s at this point I should have kept going and made a break for it myself. The other guy was gassed and I had a good gap on the field. But, my inexperience showed through again and I sat up. The pack regrouped and we rode around for a few laps when another solo attack was launched on the hill. Again, the pack and I just watched and the race for first was over as we never materialized a response despite my pleadings and efforts at the front. So, another sprint finish ensued and I was left thinking what could have been again. Damn, where’s my mountain bike?!
I had put in a solid effort and knew I would have nothing for the Masters race so I was content to sit in this time and let everyone else worry about attacks. Thomas and Abramson were racing so I suspected they might do some scheming, but I wasn’t going to be any help. The race started with a bang as the pack went singlefile from the gun. It was all I could do to hang on the back, but I was able. I really don’t know what went on up front as I just made sure I stayed in the draft. Naturally, it came down to a sprint finish. This result turned out to be my most satisfying as I did little to earn it except pass a bunch of people in the last 50 yards! Road racing is funny isn’t it?
Babs and the boys were good sports and came to spectate (and photograph, thanks Babs). The carnival next door was a bonus for the boys. Drake had a solo roller coaster ride and Fenix was way too nervous to do any rides!

Well, I have a couple of weeks of rest to flush this weekend from my mind.
Next up is my first MMBA event @ Biddeford.

1 comment:

rick is! said...

yeah, road races are a bitch like that. I also always somehow find myself leading everyone out. I think everyone else just stops and waits for the first dummy to go to the front (you and me unfortunately) and then the fun begins. Oh well.