Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mt. Snow Trip

We all piled in the family truckster on Wednesday and headed south, then west, then north, then south, then west, then north to West Dover, VT. It was a rainy day and my original plan was to be at Mt. Snow mid-day and ride a couple of laps. But analyzing the weather, I decided to get a couple hours of road riding in here at home then head over leisurely. My upper body was still semi-sore from the Snow Bowl race and I did not want to battle crappy conditions on the tough Mt. Snow course. We landed in Brattleboro, VT around dinner time and stopped at an old stomping ground of mine when I was attending grad. school there. Thursday was a day off, so it was spent hanging with the fam. at the pool and frog/newt hunting. Friday was a full day of XC racing so my only opportunity to get a ride in was before 8am so Freye and I did a lap. It had rained quite a bit Thursday night and the course was thoroughly thrashed. Even the open slope climbs were unridable, making for a pretty miserable experience. I felt sorry for the semi-pros like Burns who were the first racers of the day. Fortunately, the organizers dropped a lap off everyone’s race so folks weren’t totally hating life. Luckily, the day was sunny and breezy and the course dried out where it was able. Coupled with all the races on the day, conditions were sure to improve for my race Saturday. We all spent the rest of the day at the pool, at the frog pond where the bucket couldn't contain all the loot, and at the base lodge watching some races. The dual slalom was pretty cool. Babs prepared my tried and true pre-race dinner and we chilled watching basic TV because the cheapos who owned the condo don’t have the next package up. I couldn’t even watch ESPN, let alone Le Tour on Vs.! How weak!
On race day, Babs and the boys positioned themselves in the feed zone and patiently waited for me to come by for the bottle exchanges. Drake was awesome as he held out a water which I could down while riding through the zone and then I traded with Babs up the hill. Fenix was the mechanic as he tried to spray off my derailleur. They all helped me get through the event and it’s always great seeing them excited at the finish. We waited a ridonculously long time for the awards presentation, then headed back to the pool which I think was pretty key for my recovery.
Babs made a mountain out of a mole hill and whipped up another great supper out of the leftovers, refilling my tank prepping me for the short track. That morning we packed up, they snuck 1 more session in at the pool while I did an extra long warm up. Babs and the boys hung out at the playground which was surrounded by the STXC course as we raced around and around. The boys were oblivious to the race, but I could hear Babs every time around really motivating me! The rest of the day was all about fun as the boys had their race with the pros. As un-luck would have it, my STXC awards ceremony was at the same time as the kids’ race so Babs was solo (what else is new?!).



Fenix is NOT intimidated!

Drake went off no problem and raced around coming in 2nd. Babs chased Fenix all the way around giving him a hand when needed as this was his first no training wheels event. They both were were stoked to get their medals and Gatorade! Babs was happy everyone, including herself, were still in 1 piece! We took 1 more cruise through the venue where the boys met and got an autograph from the future star Sam Shultz. We then loaded back up and headed south, then east, then north, then south then east, then north to Maine culminating the trip with a much-anticipated stop at Gritty’s and Ben & Jerry’s in Freeport.
It was great to be home after a much rewarding trip. I owe everything to Babs who was the consummate team manager and who put up with my PRS (Pre Race Syndrome) like a champ. I appreciate all the sacrifices she and the boys have made to help get me to this level. I can only hope to repay them somehow, someday. Then again, Drake seems pretty happy with just holding a frog!

2 comments:

rick is! said...

nice job man. i don't feel so bad losing to you all the time now!

Wheels said...

Thanks. I just hope I don't become a target of yours like Boobar is!