Tuesday, July 24, 2007

STXC National Championship Report 7/22

Expert 30+
3rd/33

What a fun finish to the weekend! Although I had a slight all-over-body soreness, I was looking forward to this short track race. Thankfully, my coach Beau mandated I do a longer-than-normal warm-up in order to flush out some of the XC abuse and be primed to go for today’s event. This race was on a short, maybe 1/2K loop around the base lodge area that had 1 stiff up and down and a hairpin turn to the finish straight. The race was 20 minutes plus 3 laps long. Since it consisted of any Expert 30 years or older, I didn’t know what the caliber would be, but I assumed tough. Turns out the winner placed 7th and the runner up was 2nd in their Expert 30-35 XC race the day before so the field was tough for sure.
I got a call up so was able to line up on the front line. I learned from my experience in this event last year that you have to be in contact with the front group if you want to have a chance in the end. Last year I got pinched on the inside of the 1st corner and could never make up spots and ended up chasing around the front pack of 10 in no-man’s land. Today, I got the hole shot and led the field around the first couple of laps. I quickly realized this wasn’t the ideal place to be for the next 20 minutes as I wasn’t getting away and there was enough of a headwind on the front stretch that made the effort at the front. After a few laps one guy made a break and stayed away for a few circuits. With the help of a few others, we reeled him in and settled into a true road criterium type race. I was always positioned in the top 3 so I knew exactly what was going on at all times. After yesterday’s narrow loss, I had ample motivation to go for a win.
The race ebbed and flowed as we were a pack of about 10 riders as many couldn’t match the early pace. We slowed considerably as the 20-minute mark came around as riders were looking to conserve energy for a final assault. The guy who made an earlier break was out in front when we were at 3 laps to go and I started tapping my previous crit racing experience. There have been far too may times when I’ve said to myself I should have done something, but was too conservative and ended up with nothing to show for it anyway. When we crossed the line with 2 laps to go, I decided I would make my move. The Specialized guy was out front, and I was 3rd wheel. There was a flat just before the climb and that’s where I hit the gas. I leaped out of the pack and stormed up the hill. I knew I was fast on the descent and turns so whatever gap I could create on the climb I would hold through to the start/finish at least. I had nothing to lose. Pulling from the experience I had the F-L crit, if I didn’t make a move I would have had to contend with a pack sprint finish and only hope to finish top-5. Today, I was in control and dictating the outcome; best case scenario: win, worst: pack finish. So I kept pounding the pedals. The roar of the crowd was chilling as I ripped through the start/finish solo. I never looked back because I didn’t want to! I heard Babs through the din and I gave it all I had heading up the climb. Unfortunately, the Specialized guy ended up bridging the gap and he was towing someone along whom I hadn’t seen all race. They just got ahead of me at the top of the hill which meant it was going to come down to the final turn. As I was 3rd wheel there, I was pretty much SOL. But I had a chance to glance back and see I had a gap behind so I knew I was on the podium. The 2 ahead of me had a fierce sprint and the new guy just edged out the Specialized guy. Nice strategy on his part. He chilled in the pack all race and had the legs to sprint at the end. His body type was also way stronger than either of ours so that was clearly his strength.
The announcer said that was the most exciting racing he has ever seen as strategy, tactics, and power were all used to the limit. I had a lot of fun (although I was hating life during the race!) and was very happy with the finish. Babs was so amped up! She even said she almost threw up when I went solo! Her excitement made all the pain worthwhile.
Next year, 2 jerseys!

No comments: