Tuesday, February 26, 2008

eMotion Roller Riding

It has been over a month since I rode rollers for the first time. I can safely say I have become 1 with them. I know this because today I was able to ride with no hands. This new ability has added a fun new element to indoor training: I can now practice my finish line celebrations (within the confines of the ceiling height of course)!
These rollers are confidence instilling as if you look in the pic above, there are roller blade wheels at the sides of the front drum to keep the front wheel in line (I have hit these many times!). And there are 2 black bars to keep the rear wheel in line with the 2 rear drums. I can't say I've done a balls to the wall sprint, but I definitely have gone as hards as I felt comfortably going.

Speaking of sprints on rollers, the eMotion came with very little user-info. The unit was assembled at the bike shop, so I just got on and rode. Fortunately, right before my first sprint workout I figured out how to adjust the reisistance unit. I thought I had been changing the settings using the dial below, but was suspicious when it really didn't feel any different.


Upon closer examination, I deduced the magnet was installed incorrectly and thus never interacting with the flywheel. I got it spun around and then it all made sense. The arrow pointed to the resistance setting as the magnet gets positioned closer to the flywheel. DUH!


Now I feel the difference! I do the majority of work on 2. 3 is going to be reserved for seriously tough workouts!


No comments: