Sunday, February 24, 2008

First outside ride of 2008

The 'cross drivetrain can handle it!

Went out with no agenda, just to do some recon on the condition of the roads around the neighborhood, guage how many layers of clothing I need based on temperature, check satellite radio, and just get out of the house for once.
Weather was prime, sunny and about 40 degrees. Of course I overdressed and was very warm for the first 2/3. But was glad I wore all I did at the end as only my toes were just starting to get chilly, but that was it.
I rode the Aegis Shaman 'cross bike because I expected the back roads to still have ice spots and they didn't disappoint. Even the shoulders on Rt. 17 had snow and ice spots. The 'cross tires were a must have. But it was fun nonetheless!
My Sirius radio was a disappointment as reception was very broken up without using the antenna headphones. Looks like I'll have to pre-record music before rides rather than rely on reception.

3 comments:

rick is! said...

that is what I do too. works pretty well as long as there isn't something on live that you want to hear.

You look like you're dressed for a polar expedition btw. Are you smuggling hams in each leg of your pants?

Wheels said...

Oh yeah, way overdressed! But the ham sandwich mid-ride was toasty!

Unknown said...

Sorry, no tough guy points for you on this one. 40 degrees, sunny, and dressing like that isn't tough guy status.
read and interesting piece on velonews today about the law and cyclists rights. Good read.