Sunday, April 20, 2008

Scarborough Training Crit 4/20

This weekend I had the choice of doing either the Saturday morning PVC group ride or today's criterium. Due to my lax game being played as scheduled, I wouldn't have had time to make the group ride plus a bonus ride with Freye. Turns out, fate hooked me up as there was a high-speed crash that took out several riders, including trips to the hospital.




The crit series is held in the Scarborough Industrial Park. It is 7/8 mile all right turns with an S turn and a short false flat. Not knowing much about this crit training series, I signed up for both B and A events. I used the 12 lap first event as a warm-up by riding at the back, never playing a role in the outcome of the race. The 20 lap A race had some quality riders from Linscott racing, PVC Elite team, Base 36, Tom Gosselin, etc. Things started out mellow. But quickly, a group of 6 got away and it became a block-fest at the front of the pack by the teams. I stayed up front, eager to get a good workout in. I don't recall a consistent surge of effort by the pack to reel in the breakaway. But suddenly, with 6 to go, they were caught. The remainder of the race turned into futile attempts by riders trying to make a last effort break to avoid a field sprint, but it was not to be. Chris LaFlamme was the last to make an attempt and I stuck on his wheel. The legs felt like they had the power in them for short bursts. Unfortunately, the field was organized and there were several team riders doing leadouts and we were engulfed. I gave it all I had and turned the legs to rubber, coming across in 10th.



The lonely, long straightaway finish.





It was great to ride in a group and face some competition for once. I felt good despite my lack of prep thus far so I'm pleased. I did a nice cool down ride to Prout's Neck and back making the training session complete. Looks like I'll repeat the process next weekend as well.

Here are some shots of a fellerbuncher for my little buddy Fenix:


6 comments:

rick is! said...

when the teams are working together it can be a real pain down there. don't think I'll make it this weekend again but maybe next. maybe we can team up for a break!

Wheels said...

I'm hoping for some serious Bradbury time next weekend.

rick is! said...

meaning this coming weekend? according to the website, only double track is open right now. by next weekend (5/3-4) I'd guess they'd be open.

Wheels said...

No, this Sunday I do another SIP crit. 5/3-4 I hope is @ Bradbury.

Eternal Roots said...

still, 10th is not too shabby!
Good job!

Eternal Roots said...

still 10th is not too shabby!!!
Great job!