Monday, May 19, 2008

MMBA #1 Race Report

1st Overall

Finally got a race in! Today was the season opener for the Maine Mountain Bike Association Series held at Maine Sport Outfitters in Rockport. A glorious day welcomed all the racers and the whole Wheelden fam. The weather report earlier in the week had called for rain, and there were showers leading all the way up to the morning of the race, but the dark clouds were pushed away
and it was all sun and fun. I was in a quandry over what tire choice to make as this course has been notoriously muddy for the past 2 years. I was fortunate enough to get a few laps in mid-week when conditions were very dry. But I didn't know how much rain they got on the course so I opted to run my mud tubeless set-up. Turns out they weren't necessary, but I was glad for the confidence I had not risking pinch-flats and thankful for the extra grip they provided.
On race day, I opted to warm up on the road, knowing all I needed to about the course from my earlier recon ride. The kids race preceded my start, so I hung around and cheered on the boys.





Fenix is all about the SWAG!

My new # plate representing Master of Mud seemed to have a magic sparkle to it


The start was crucial and I staked out what I thought was a good spot. We race on a grass field with a few trees for about 30 yards before going single file pretty much for the rest of the event. This photo of the start shows the top-3 finishers, but not in the proper order. Adam LaRochelle got the hole shot and I settled in behind a junior xer whom I didn't feel like banging bars with just yet and Racin' Rick just behind. There was some other talent in the field like Skip Brown, Anders Larson, Tom Gosselin. But they got bogged down by choosing an alternative line once in the woods and were never heard of again. The junior xer did not have his "A" game and I bided my time waiting for the first opportunity to pass. Rick got by as well and he and I now trailed Adam setting the table for the rest of the race. Adam maintained a fairly good pace. But I felt like I good go faster and was concerned the rest of the field might catch up. At the next double track opportunity, I made my move. Adam tried to counter but the trail narrowed quickly. I felt a handlebar on my right hip, then heard the distinct sound of tires breaking sticks off trail and I knew he lsot it. It was way too early for him to challenge and I told him later we should have worked together rather than battle, another lesson learned for the young grasshopper. Rick nipped him on the alternative line choice on the 2nd lap and the real race was on. We were constantly within sight of each other for the remainder of the lap. Fortunately, I felt as one with the bike, I think the riser handlebar was the icing on the cake for me. This course is all about handling. You know you're focused on the task at hand when you relaize you haven't blinked in a long time! I pushed the pace for the 2nd and 3rd laps and created a gap on Rick. Knowing I had some wiggle room, I played it safe on the 4th lap and actually rode the poorest of the race! Fortunately I maintained the lead.
I checked the time and it was 1hr 5min! That was a sprint race for crap's sake! So, I did another lap for kicks and giggles just to get more saddle time. This was a great season-opener in my opinion: no leg punishing climbs, no impossible technical sections.

Of course Babs was the consummate soigneur and was so pro taking pictures, handing up bottles, and referreeing the boys!

I'm hoping to carry some momentum and confidence into next weekend as I attempt to qualify as a semi-pro for Natz at a Root 66 event in VT.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lucky for you I had a pound of dust in my lungs from Saturdays UCI race that someone bagged on!! Haha just kidding with you, nice win! Maybe I will double dip and see you in VT on Sunday.

rick is! said...

nice job man. looks like it will be a long struggle this year for master of mud. I REALLY want to knock you off the podium! Probably won't happen but it will be fun to try.