Monday, May 26, 2008

Root 66 #5 Coyote Hill Classic

Pro/Semi-Pro/Open
9th/21

This race represents my first event as a semi-pro.

Took a leisurely drive due West to return to the venue where I won the expert 40-49 class last year. My purpose was to earn a top-15 in my field to qualify for Natz. Did I have illusions of being on the podium? Sure! But I was realistic and kept to the task at hand.
The day was gorgeous! Still snow on top of Mt. Washington.

I arrived stupid early and decided to do a reconaissance lap to check course conditions and loosen up after the drive. I don't normally do this, but I felt confident I would end up with some useful information. Conditions were dusty dry and very muddy at the same time! There were some irrigation issues that clearly never dry up and left a nice layer of tacky mud on the bike each lap. Everywhere else, it was a hindrence to tail anyone as you just sucked their dust. The lap took a bit longer than I expected, but I wasn't in any danger of not making the start. I'm hoping they added to the course this year because finish times seem a few minutes at least later than last year's and the course was in better shape.
I bumped into series leader and sick SS'er Thom Parsons and prennial workhorse Michael Patrick pre-race. As I'm new to the field, I didn't know who else was who, but assumed it was a pretty competitive group and knew I had my work cut out for me.
The race start was a hammerfest! We did a quick 90 degree turn in a filed then immediately converged into a 1 lane bridge. There was a little traffic jam, but not what I would call a crash. Then it was a drag race up an open road climb. I was in a group that included Parsons and Mike Joos that I thought was appropriate so I settled in. Once in the singetrack the action didn't mellow, it intensified! Gone are the days when I could take a break and recover! These guys kept the foot to the pedal and scrapped and battled for every inch of trail. I was glad to be on Joos' wheel as I admired his little tail whips around turns as he lead me over obstacles quicker than I would have ever dreamed of going. I was also fortunate to have followed him off the trail as we avoided a small pile up. He bushwacked his own path! Eventually there was some separation and we all had some room to find our own lines and ride smoothly. I kept Joos in sight, but Parsons was gone ahead. We also reeled in Patrick before the end of the lap who appeared to be having some bike issues. I lost my water bottle on the first lap and had only 2 in my holder so I was very concerned about surviving the entire race. In fact, I was ready to pack it in right then and there! Man, I haven't felt like that in a while, so that's good! I fumbled and dropped my bottle at the stand and stopped to pick it up. At this point Joos was distancing himself from me and I realized I was going to need to be a bit more conservative from here given the lack of hydration, the effort, and the race distance. I came upon hard-core SS'er Paul Simoes at the top of the climb and decided to ride with him as best I could. I remembered him from Bradbury as smooth and always talking to himself. He was 4th overall, giving French Freye (new nickname because all he does is race in Canada now!) all heck to stay ahead. He was smoother and faster than I and slipped ahead. I was now in no-man's land and would remain there for the rest of the lap and all of the 3rd. I asked for my place at the start-finish line and heard 12th so all I had to do was maintain and I would qualify. Then I saw Simoes on the climb on the final lap and I decided to push the pace on the climb and get into the singletrack ahead of him. As I passed he said he was gassed and was lamenting his choice of riding a rigid SS. I felt for him! Normally on the final lap I ride like a donkey as I'm usually spent and concentration is difficult to maintain. This one wasn't too bad, having to put a foot down a few times. But my body was raising the white flag. My triceps were the first to cramp, then my forearm. My back was chronically sore and my legs had cramp twinges. But, I persevered and ended up passing 2 other guys who had flats putting me in 9th.

Brought the roadie and trainer knowing there is no place to get an adequate warm-up or cool down in. Post -race spin was key, although friggen buggy!

I was very pleased with the finish. But I also know there's room for improvement which will help with motivation to get faster. Parsons killed it and finished 3rd. Joos had a very respectable 5th. My time was such that I never would have caught the spot ahead of me had I had a flawless race with no put-downs or bottle droppings, etc.
Thanks to Babs for letting me go while she attended a wicked boring graduation ceremony and took the boys to hockey! I thanked my bike on a number of occassions for saving my ass from flying up over my head and smoothing out the rough stuff. Locking out the suspension on the climb was also a nice treat.
Next up is Root 66 #6 @ Pat's Peak.

3 comments:

rick is! said...

nice job man. playing with the big boys now!

mike joos said...

thanks for the complements, you really make me sound good. sorry to hear about the water bottle; I saw a few of them scattered though out the course; same thing must have happened to a few people. I’ll see you next weekend @ pats peak.

French freye: I will be sure to use that.

jeff said...

thnks for the co2 hook-up!