Monday, June 09, 2008

Save a pump


No racing this weekend, just major training. Saturday was my first ever 4+ hour ride. So here's something random and unimportant if you're checking in.
I used up the seal on this Trek floor pump I won a couple of years ago. Every 1psi I pumped, I lost .5psi! Frustrating to say the least! I expected I would have to chuck it. But I took it in to Kennbec Bike & Ski and got hooked me up with an easy solution. Topeak has a replacement kit for their pumps complete with hose and everything. Stephen was kind enough to break up the kit for me and give me just the section I needed. The bonus is the head works for both types of valves which is an upgrade from my original doublehead.
Now I'm pumping efficiently again, which is nice! Thanks Steve!

6 comments:

rick is! said...

how can you be as freakin fast as you are and never been on a 4+ hour ride??? of course, if you're races are usually 2 hours I guess it isn't needed.

Unknown said...

wrench force has a lifetime warranty on there products. Or they used to.

Wheels said...

Aw shucks Rick, I'm blushing! Shoot, I don't know what I'm doing I just do what Coach Kurt says! That was a 70 miler (another personal record) @ 19mph avg. Makes the 2hr training rides seem tit!

Big Bikes said...

Hey "Coach Kurt" wouldn't happen to be Kurt Perham would it?

He coached me "back in the day", before he was officially a coach. Prior to that I didn't have a god damn clue what I was doing out there.

Wheels said...

Yeah, he's the one TP. He says he expirimented on you like an albino lab rat at Maybelline. Have you been tested by WADA?!

Big Bikes said...

He used to shout "Thom P., go to the Ensure!" at me during races,
due to the fact that one time I drank a can of the geriatric supplement just minutes before a race start. It was strawberry...it took me weeks to get all the petrified pink vomit off my frame.

These days I just drink 10 liters of orange juice before the start. It's just as safe as EPO but tastes way better!