Friday, June 13, 2008

When to Road Ride

Now that Kents Hill School kids are on summer vacation, my schedule is now more like a normal persons' 8am-3pm give or take. This means, days of my riding mid-morning before lunch are over and I'm heading out after work before dinner. I realize how good I had it when I could ride around with minimal traffic. Now, I'm sharing space with teenagers out of school showing off how fast their Oldsmobuick can accelerate past me while texting and talking with their 4 friends in the car; aged folks with handicap parking passes dangling from their rearview mirror who have no sense of speed and think their deft handling of the vehicle is quicker than my closing speed when they are turning; and soccer moms picking their kids up from school while slurping the Big Gulp version of DD iced coffee and the family German Shephard/Poodle hanging its head out the passenger window who barks really loudly right as its passing "Hello, if I weren't such a sucker for 1 helping of Alpo served to me daily by these people, I'd be running free and chasing then mauling you!"
This is clearly when NOT to ride. I sympathize with all those bikers who must contend with the mental driving midgets on a daily basis, especially commuters. On the plus side, it does help develop a knack for avoiding incidents which should help with the mayhem that is cyclocross starts.
Keep the rubber side down y'all!

1 comment:

rick is! said...

yeah, take that. welcome to the real world!