Monday, November 10, 2008

Porky Gulch Classic Stage Race Report 11/8-9

Elite
2nd Overall
The Kona Armada ready to do battle at Porky's


Photos courtesy of Porky's Website

Toughest Two - 3rd
The stage race begins with a 2 mile climb up the Mt. Washington Auto Road. To me, this is a make or break event. Win it, and you're in the driver's seat. Otherwise, it's catch up time over the next 2 events. Last year I put myself in a hole by finishing 4th. I used my CX bike and was cursing the decision as soon as the road turned up. I hurt so bad my arms were rubber too. So, the decision was made to run my XC bike. The upside was I would have the gearing necessary to feel comfortable for the long haul. The downside was the added 5 pounds of mass I would have to lug up. Fortunately I lost 3 pounds since the double CX weekend at Noho so I deduced this would be a wash. Weather conditions were fair. It was warm enough to run just a skinsuit, but there were sporadic showers and the road was wet. I was the first out of the gate for the Elites and thus had no markers ahead of me. I blasted the front flat and then turned my mind to stay motivated to pump the legs and suck in oxygen in a steady rythm. I felt like I did OK, but had to wait for the results t the next event. Turns out I was 3rd, and over 1.5 minutes back from last year's overall winner and my nemesis 19 year-old Pete Ostroski. Sandwiched between us was another local Steve Piotrow whom I believe specializes in time trials and is racing some CX. So, I didn't exactly tear it up! But I was 1 position better than I was last year so I had a little less work to do, but had to play catch up nonetheless.


Story Land Criterium - 2nd
With the points assigned to our prologue finishes, it was clear where each rider stood and what each of us needed to do. I needed to place ahead of Pete, plain and simple. Maybe simple doesn't work here. Weather conditions were about the same. Fortunately it wasn't actively raining. But, the ground was wet, there were standing puddles, and I can't begin to describe the complicated and confusing and treacherous maze that this crit is when dry! Thankfully, the bridge sections were taken out of the course, but there was still a RR crossing right at a 90 degree turn and there was a fully painted section of pavement t ocontend with, not to mention the myriad of turns we had to negotiate. This is best described as a CX event on pavement - minus the soft grass landings, minus the wide lanes and turns for passing, plus speed! Pete set off from the gun intent on staying safely out in front, apparently despite the toll it would take physically. I thought it best to sit on his wheel the ENTIRE race and let him do the work. He could not drop me, and I figured I could not drop him so why try? I had 40+ minutes to figure out my strategy in terms of where I would pass him on the last lap. Smart racing? Let's see. Ryan Littlefield was the only other rider to keep pace with us. He showed his nose a couple of times at the front, but Pete really didn't want anyone out there and he always passed. I didn't want to have Ryan between us, so I made a point of keping Pete's wheel. 'Round and 'round we went until we set out on our last lap. We rode 3-across for about 100 yards when I decided I would see who had the legs and put in an effort to enter the park and the first turns in first for once. Pete shut it down and passed. He had the legs. So, I planned to execute the race-winning move Paul Curely pulled on us last year. There was a flat stretch after the 90 degree RR crossing that ended on a short, steep ascent with a gradual left then right-hand turn then a quick left-straight-left. I got by him on the straight, but amazingly he closed the gap and we were side by side. I, being the older and wiser(?) didn't force the issue and let him finish the turns ahead of me. I had 1 more section I had scoped out to make a last-ditch attempt to pass. Pete was a little slow coming out of a turn every lap and there was a short straight with room to pass. He had the last few turns dialed in so I knew I had to be in front to have a chance. Ryan, by the way, was dropped. So I put the hammer down and got by again.... Then I looked up.... Doh! Course tape... Note to self: riding behind someone the entire race means you don't really know where you're going, you're just following. I came into the turn 10mph faster than we had every lap and totally overcooked the turn. I didn't even turn actually, I just busted right through the tape and rode through what I think was a bark mulch playground. So that was it, I gave the position back, sat back in and finished just ahead of Ryan. What a buffoon! I was so pissed at myself I crossed the line, put the bike in the truck, and left.


Rockpile Rampage - 1st
The GC was pretty well set prior to today's event. I needed to win and Pete needed to finish 5th or worse to vault me into 1st. Not a likely scenario. But I was going to do my part and attempt to win and save some face. After a constant rain overnight and showers in the morning, the sun finally showed its pretty face just ahead of our 11:30am start. Although the temps were chillier, it was encouraging to be riding dry. The course was a fast one with some long open dirt road straights and only a couple of mud puddles. It also had some stiff climbs that I could just turn the pedals over at the top in the big ring.




Babs' photos from here


I was able to digest my idiocy from the crit and was mentally and physically prepared to do whatever it took to win today. Like last year, Pete made the curious decision to race a XC bike instead of a CX bike. Today, this was like bringing a knife to a gunfight. He may have felt comfortable on it, but it was a real disadvantage on the open sections. The gun went off and a teammate of Pete's, also on a XC bike, went to the front and set a pretty torrid pace for the first half lap. The field was sorted out very quickly and it was only Pete, Ryan Littlefield and I hanging in. Then, the course elevation changed and the other mtb'r dropped of the pace leaving Pete to lead. Ryan on his singlespeed hung on, but was suddenly gone, victim of a dropped chain (the 1st of 3 for the day). I let Pete lead the way for the rest of the lap. On the first open section I tested his resolve and made an acceleration. He responded and hung on my wheel. I deduced I was going to have to shake him off like a nagging cold by accelerating intelligently and often. I lead half the lap, then slowed on a climb to let him lead the next straight while I recovered. My next attack was planned on the final steep climb that was followed by a few turns and then a straight away to the start/finish area. Pete led me to the base and I hit the hill hard. A gap of a few bike lengths formed right away and I decided to see if it would stick and stayed on the gas. I buried myself to the point my vision was blurry. It stuck, I soon had 15 seconds and was on my way to setting my own pace. I backed off enough to see straight, but worked hard in all sections. I wanted to create a buffer in the event something happened mechanically and I wanted to win convincingly. The rest of the race went smoothly, and I accomplished the day's goal. Pete earned the overall fair and square and I applaud his efforts and strategy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd,

Congrats on the Porky Gulch Race!
You're still riding incredibly strong......as always.

Enjoy the winter and see you next season.

Steve H

rick is! said...

good way to cap the season. oh wait, you still have more cx don't you???