Monday, November 10, 2008

Porky's Revenge

So, things didn't work out quite the way I had planned.

Official story here.

But the weekend was a fun getaway for me and the fam.

We rolled west in the family truckster after school on Friday complete with the Kona Armada set for battle in the shadows of Mt. Washington. As much of a for-fun only event the Porky Gulch Stage Race is, I was not racing for 2nd place. I was looking to earn the title assigned to winning the stage race as "New England's Best All-around Cyclist" (at least among those who showed up!).
Last year Paul Curley flexed his muscles and won 2 events, but his poor showing on the hill climb put him too far back to contend for the title. Then 18 year-old Pete Ostroski won the hill climb and finished 3rd the rest of the weekend to win by 2 points over me. This year, I figured to be in better shape, Curley wasn't showing, and I was looking to draw upon what I learned from last year's experience.
Babs did her usual hotel search that always has an indoor pool as a prerequisite and found this eclectic little inn between the races and North Conway, NH. Know what's in North Conway? Outlets. Know what was on Babs' mind?
We had a nice dinner at the inn Friday night, had a dip in the pool, and all went to sleep @ 9pm. I went solo to the Prologue becasue i can't think of anything more boring than a 2 mile hillclimb to watch! Babs and the boys had a leisurely brunch and hit the pool. I returned and chilled for a bit then we all hit Story Land for the criterium in the rain. The fam actually stayed in the truck the entire race and cheered me on when I passed by through the sunroof!
After the frustrating finish, the boys were the perfect remedy for a bummed out dad. Babs did her shopping and the boys and I hit up toy and gem stores plus Olympia Sports. We stayed within budget while Babs busted hers!
We then met up at Flatbread and had a relaxing meal. Lights out was 9pm again.
I got to indulge in the wicked good brunch and filled the gullet with a real-deal buttermilk biscuit, chocolate-rasberry scone, pancakes and bacon. I was ready to rip. And, I was ready to ride my bike, fast! The fam hit the pool 1 final time while I loaded up the family truckster and loosened up the belt and legs. Lucky for us, the sun finally shown and the kids were able to get their ya-yas out by running around the Great Glen center. They cheered loudly and were a great group of finish line fans. I can't thank Babs enough for all she does so I can do my thing. She is this year's New England's Best All-around Wife!
Next up is my best opportunity to finish top-25 in an Elite CX race @ Sterling on 11/29.

No comments: