Monday, November 03, 2008

Verge NECCS Series #5 & 6 Report 11/1-2 Brief

Saturday
30/48 Elite
Sunday
28/48 Elite

Had a couple of great days of racing. Babs was the hero as she stayed back home with the boys for their hockey game. I steeled down to Northampton Saturday morning, stayed in Boston that night, then cruised home Sunday. Lots of hours on the road, but gas was reasonable and at the very least, it was time off the legs sitting in the car listening to satellite radio.
Weather was stereo typical fall-gorgeous. A nip in the air, with sun and a breeze. Sunday was colder than Saturday, so the debate was what to wear. I hashed out the decision with Burnsy. If the Elite women weren't wearing leg warmers, than we weren't! Long sleeves were definitely in order though.
My finishes were ominously consistent, hinting at the realization I finish where I belong. But I can't help think about what could have been. Both days, I was directly affected by issues other racers had in front of me, 2 separate issues on Saturday, leaving me 3rd from last at the start, no exaggeration! There is a saying, "the cream rises to the top" and I think that has some validity. If I were top-10 caliber, I would be able to claw back to close to the top-10 by race-end. Unfortunately, I am resigned to the fact that I am top-25 caliber, and clawing my way to the final spot for points and cash after starting from the back is a tall order. Now please note, I am not complaining about my plight! I am loving the experience racing at the top level. The crowds are frenzied, the competition fierce, and the fun is at max. But, I am too much of a competitor to be satisfied with my results.
I pledge here and now, I will crack the top-25 before the season is over! My first step towards building confidence towards accomplishing this goal was the fact that I didn't get lapped on Sunday for the first time at a NECCS race.
Next up is seeking vengeance for last year's 2nd overall placing at the Porky Gulch Classic. My motivation is at an all-time high.

Fantastic photos courtesy of teammate Paul Weiss






2 comments:

Eternal Roots said...

Go Wheels!! I totally understand. It's frustrating paying for other riders mistakes. I myself find that my legs get fried due to others hellacious cornering. But that's 'cross for you!!!

You'll be top 25 in no time!!

Unknown said...

eh, sorry for being the cause of he first slow-down on saturday....my bad

kill it this weekend!