Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Real Coyote Hill Race Report

21/39 Pro

First mtb race of the season and it showed. I loaded up and headed due west Sunday morning to attend the 4th race in the Root 66 Northeast race series. I was feeling a bit unprepared fitness-wise having failed to get intense rides in the past 2 weekends in a row. But, I was marginally optimistic about my handling having gotten a couple of solid Bradbury mtb rides in and was very comfortable on the bike. Then it rained. I put way too much faith in the forecast the day before which had called for a 40% chance of showers in the morning, then a nice afternoon. So I set the bike up for a dry race. Well, that 40% turned into 100% of 1/4" of rain from like 10am-noon rendering the course muddy and slick and my front tire useless except for collecting mud to skim on top of mud.
Hutchinson Python = Stupid Tire

Well, you gotta run what you brung so I lined up with over 30 other pros and set off for a 4 lapper. The start was great as I was comfortably in the top 10 heading into the singletrack. Then it was a skid-fest. My front lost grip on the first slick off-camber section and I had to put a foot down to keep from going into the woods. The field freight trained by me and I lost at least 7 spots. I rudely jumped back in and hopped on to Mike Joos' wheel making this a repeat of last year when I rode with him for the 1st lap. The pace was high, but not killer. I had to stay super-focused to maintain traction and keep up with Joos and the small group we were in. There were a few sections that I opted to run that cost me a bit of time but not enough to get dropped. Eventually though, the running certainly adversly affected my finish. I looped through the start/finish in decent shape but I soon settled into a pace that got slower and slower each lap. I was no longer riding with anyone and the mind just started to wander. On the 3rd lap I swopped places back and forth with a single-speeder, then Mike Rowell motored through as I was doing my feeble try to ride a muddy, rooty section, then get off and run routine. I kept him in contact as we climbed the open road for the last time, but he was powering up and I was just riding up. The singlespeeder stood and delivered as well and entered the singletrack ahead of me. I desperately wanted to maintain contact to keep up the motivation and help me get through the singletrack faster than I would alone. But I was fatigued going up the climb and my recovery on the descent was slow and I was alone again. The course was drying quickly and traction improved with some tacky mud. Trouble was, my front tire liked to collect the mud and I still wasn't able to open it up. Plus, my mind and body were pretty unresponsive so my final lap was more like a trail ride than a race. Definitely the worst lap I've ridden in years. Then, to make the lap worse, I got nipped by a couple more hard-charging pros less than 1/2 mile from the finish to drop me out of the top-20 which would have been the only bright spot on the day! No excuse. I'm behind in my training and that was a tough course to start the season on. I have a couple of local road races in a couple of weeks to build fitness, then it's back to the dirt in June. I should be recovered by then!

3 comments:

Laps said...

At least it wasn't pouring for your start. My race went off in the rain, which lasted just through our two laps. Then it got nice out.

Unknown said...

what were you running for tires?

matty o said...

no stress Todd. We will bring it back together. Good seeing you.
matty o